Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New nep grow chamber + new terrarium design

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well for me small tanks are hard to work with. A carpet of Hemianthus callitrichoides is nice if you are going to fertilize this tank. One of those little heart-shaped ferns would be cool. Tiny tiny bulbophyllum for attaching to twigs, forget about a waterfall, instead of making it a side-profile make it a front-profile.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow....the Hemianthus callitrichoides is pretty cute. It seems like a nice small plant. However, I DO not want to fertilize it. I plan on still having a couple of small pings in there. I will still try if i can get it.

The bulbophyllum, I have never seen any tiny plants anywhere . But if i make a side profile, don't I need to use foam background and all??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh... well I was just about to suggest Downoi and dwarf Lobelia, which ROCK but since you don't want to fertilize....

You could just paint the back black and use drift wood, pile it up and fill the nooks and crannies with LFS and plants. You'll want a flase bottom by the way.

You can make it a mound like ^ or make it flat like _ or make it high on both sides and a valley in the middle like U. It's very hard to make fancy elaborate scapes in small tanks. You COULD do a minimalist approach. A 20 gallon with a nice branch it it covered with epiphytes with a carpet of 1 type of plant and maybe a few rosette plants would look SO much better than a 20 gallon with a pine tree and an overbearing waterfall in it, which no offense would look forced and stuffed and crappy.

Another idea is get some neat pumice or lava rocks, and grow pinguicula on them.

Here is 13 pages of miniature orchids for sale.
    http://www.andysorchids.com/Miniatures.asp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well...it was actually just a 10 gallon tank .. really small.

Acutally your idea of the driftwood pile is good. I'll see if I can get more driftwood in there.

But do u think all those new plants are to waste?? how about that 1.99$ plant? 2 inch pot?? loooks like a little tree isn't it??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The sallegen.. the moss thing is fine and the small Tillandsia but the others will get big.

TEN gallons! Wow. Try going to Sheridan's frog forum (I'm assuming he goes to a frog forum ) and get some inspiration from the frog people's vivariums. The best vivariums are by frog people. Well the ones with an eye for aesthetics.

http://www.dendroboard.com/

Pennywort is a good plant. Riccia is good. You'll find that almost all aquarium plants do great when adapted to a terrestrial lifestyle. A carpet of Utricularia would be sweet, too. I like calycifida.

Ohh I see Sheridan's pygmy post in the plant section Represent!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the only 10 gal vivarium I have seen. most ppl go for a min of 20

http://www2a.biglobe.ne.jp/~wild-sky...enberg0308.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is see northforks everywhere!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually I don't know...its hard to describe my pine as norfolk .. The norfolk pine has a neat arrangement of the pine needles whereas mine is like haphazard. It just seems to be juvenille needles of a regular pine. However, it would be nice if i had indeed got a norfolk.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast