Thread: New nep grow chamber + new terrarium design

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb New nep grow chamber + new terrarium design

Hi guys,

So, if you remember me, I was the rebel who, inspite of growing VFTs outside or under strong lights as recommended, took a different route, made a terrarium and it was a decent success beyond what I had initially hoped for.

Now for phase 2 of my FLORA collection, I have removed all the plants from the terrairum (10 gallon), cleaned out the tank, planted plants in their own induvidual pots (the standard way) as I posted in the VFT forum in a thread.

Now what was happening with my old terrarium, well, I went shopping yesterday to understandably, the most expensive, yet, best nursery I have ever been to so far, SHERIDAN Nursaries, here in canada.

O! Before i go there, remember, I grew a ventrata with FOIL? used foil to make a enclousure and the nep actually liked it? Well....I finally bought it a better home, the humidity in there is a whopping 85% at the most dropping ot 80 at the end of the day, after spraying only once in the morning.

SO back to the purchases, I saw this great looking miranda over there.

However, it was 40$ without taxes. I was reluctant to spend soo much money. However, fate wasn't to be that way, I suddenly found on the corner, a few baskets of similar leaved neps WITH NO PITCHERS AT ALL. It was kinda old apparently and they were selling it for 20$. The label also said coccinea. But, I guess similar to the "alata" thing, it might be a miranda.

So here you go...I wasn't going to let it pass, and bought it: I know the light is pretty low for it...I am still trying to see if I can get another similar gro and sho light for it.

So, now the only thing left is that empty 10 gallon tank, well, its not going to waste. I bought other plants too. But this time, the terrarium will be a "DENSE forest style with a LOT OF MOSS"

here are the plants:

I know the pine is pretty big.. ID PLEASE?? . Even the other plant is pretty decently sized. ID PLEASE.

So this is what I am planning, I just set this up a few minutes ago..before i just started withthis post.

So now, this is my initial and probably "decided" design. This is the smallest piece of driftwood I could find in all the 3 major stores I know of. It looks nice too...suits well for a waterfall...and has enough room for moss to grow over it maybe in the future. This is a "waterfall" pump and the smallest available. The tubing unfortunately is thicker than aquarium tubing...so it is kinda messed...but i plan on siliconing it to the wood too.

Now at this time, I know the plants are too crowded...but I don't know, I personally think I like it like this...crowded!! gives the appearance of a nice thick vegetation. I was also planning on asking you, if I can cut off their growth tips, will they grow laterally??

Also, any advice would be welcome.

thanks for reading,

vraev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet Nep setup. I have a neighbor who uses foil for his 1 nep.
    Is that a Nor folk pine?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know....I checked out the internet for it. Norfolk island pine is a bit different. I have seen those real trees in life. However, I never saw a small baby plant like this...so I am unsure. Thanks for the effort though. I appreciate it. .... But from all I know...Most pines grow in acidic soil, the pine needles themselves contribute to the soil acidity.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They also get really big. All the norfolk pines you see at sale in stores, even the biggest ones you've ever seen, are babies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! The biggest ones I have seen are in an atrium in my university. Its a nice huge tree. maybe like 20 feet tall

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a big one... of course not like a tree :P . Twas a gift.
    there are like several varieties too like needles facing different directions and stuff. But basically... urs looks like a norfolk
    Oh by the way, look out for Wollemi pines, they're so cool!!!! Here: http://www.wollemipine.com/

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...They trademarked a tree that they found in nature? Jesus it's not like they bred it.

I remember when National Geographic was selling seedlings for like 100 bucks each to support some fund.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! that is insane though..its like having aliving fossil.

But surely though guys, could you guys please give me any ideas for the terrarium?? My mom was like "I don't like it! that pine is too big". But I still think its neat. However, now i am considering any alternatives! I can't buy too many more plants...but these are the best small ones I found.

Could anyone give me some suggestions wiht a new design??

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast