Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 gallon buckets work great, nice and deep with small surface area

yeah I know, that aint what he meant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the system, the TDS meter and the pressure gauge, it's like 235 dollars. x_x I REALLY don't want to spend that much.. maybe I'll wait a bit and see how my rainwater collecting thing goes. I DO want one of those R/O units eventually though...
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that price is with a case of filters and 4 bags or mixed bed media,

heck if you get the base kit, ill loan ya the gauges to troubleshoot with if you have probs

but up to you mate

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That price has like.. EVERYTHING in it, new filters, the base kit, and the TDS and pressure gauge.

I'm thinking if I get one, I at least need a TDS meter to make sure that it's working right. I could order that separate from the same person.

The pressure gauge is just for troubleshooting though, right?
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, and you can get a much cheaper pressure gauge from northern tool or someone like that..

you really need at least 50psi of water pressure, if you dont have that then you will have a terrible brine rate (proper nomenclature?) for every one gallon of RO water you dump about 5-10 gallons of "brine", this ratio is inversely proportional to your system pressure

(I capture and use the "brine" to water my non-carnivorous plants (it has gone through 3 stages of filtration))

in other words more system pressure equals better performance (to a point) ideally would be about 60psi... and this is a dynamic pressure not static, it should be measured at the RO input with the RO operating

I also use the pressure gauge to check the pressure drop of my prefilters, as they clog the pressure drop will increase, they should be replaced when the pressure drop is greater then 5 psi IIRC

etc etc etc, so yes and no chrono... but get your unit and go from there, heck I can probably find an el cheapo gauge around the house I can donate to the cause

wal mart has them for about 10 bucks as well (automotive oil pressure gauge)

so while technically not required, IMHO they are definitely required to maintain best performance and lowest operating cost

prefilters, valving and Membrane:

Accumulator tank:

DI beads and carbon post filter:

I mounted the beads vertically instead of the original horizontal mount to prevent "channeling", per bead mfg

(a no-brainer, as the beads age they shrink)

Av
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 05-09-2007 at 06:17 AM. Reason: add pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I can tell that when I actually do get one of those.. it's going to be sooo fun to put together. I know little to nothing about it. I hope it comes with directions. x_x

10 dollars from wal-mart definately beats 25 dollars plus shipping! (Free + shipping is nice too. Lol.) A TDS meter would be a little harder to find at wal-mart though.. on the ebay auction for the TDS meter it says it is $25 if ordered with the R/O unit itself. How do you order things together? Do you just.. win the auction and then when you go to pay for one, both of them are there on the "bill" so you can just pay for em both together and possibly get them shipped together too?
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They usuallly will come pretty much pre assembled. I am new to this hobby but my other hobby is reefkeeping and i use RO/DI for my tanks. I get alot of stuff from www.airwaterice.com and also www.buckeyefieldsupply.com Buckeye has great prices on replacement filters and bulk DI resin

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    assembly is pretty straightforward, as miller stated they arrive mostly together, I have all the various colored lines to color code mine, but just haven't gotten around to it LOL

but if it will help ya, I can do that and then take some pics, it really makes sense once you understand what is going on

and yep, they will ship together if you ask... they were easy to work with when I got mine

the theory works the same way your intestines do, Einstein first published a paper on the theory around 1908 or so I think

How RO works

one caveat, I suggest you check your water pressure before you buy one, if it isn't at least 45-50psi then the RO unit wont ever perform like it should... so get your gauge first, if you only have 30 psi then forget RO or plan on using a booster pump (owie...)

as the old hillbilly sayin goes "its hard to turn doo doo into ice cream, and even if you could no one would eat it" LOL

Av

el cheapo gauge that should work = $3.99
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 05-09-2007 at 11:42 AM. Reason: add link to gauge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast