Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bog Bowls and Watering

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bog Bowls and Watering

I recently got a little bog bowl started as a means of trying to overwinter sarrs, since having them in pots just does not work for me. I've had 0% success that way. So anyways.. it hasn't rained in a while and I noticed that there is a bit of space between the peat and the sides of the bowl now, meaning that the peat is drying. When I poke the peat it's still FEELS moist and I see water squish out of it, but I'm not sure if this is considered to be enough water for the sarrs and the VFT in the bog bowl. I periodically give it some water and hope for rain but I have to give it a TON to even make a difference and a gallon of distilled water a day is just way too much. So is what I have alright? I assume that it is but I rarely ever trust my own instinct.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chrono,

I would say that it all depends, are the plants well established with a good root system?
    is the peat deep enough to provide a decent moisture buffer... etc etc

if mine pulls away from the sides I water it, mine is also an old mini bog and well established with a good top layer of live moss to help me judge by

If I was you... id start catching rain water and try to keep it nice and damp this first season, then you may be able to relax a little more, now I don't worry about mine unless it hasnt rained in several days to a week

but let the plants be your guide

If you cant catch rainwater then its time to start looking at RO units, figure about 125-150 after shipping.... if you are having issues now what will it be like in mid july/august?

Sounds to me like your mini bog could stand to be deeper compared to surface area.... more buffer/less evaporation

HTH's
    Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really sure how deep or wide it is.. I think it's like 20 inches wide and 8 inches deep? I do need to find a way to save rainwater too.. supposedly it's going to rain on Friday and Saturday so I should have a way by then.. I'll probably just get a bunch of big containers and let em fill up then transfer them to gallons to keep it clean. I added a half gallon of water to the bowl for reassurance . When I put the bog together it was just like a big puddle of mud so all I had to do was take the plants right out of the pot, soil and all and just sorta massage it into place so there was little to no disturbance to the roots, they were pretty well established from the start as well. The weird thing about my bowl is that it's not very deep but it's really wide, so some parts are really deep and some aren't.

I've thought about getting an R/O unit and I was looking around eBay for one today but I really don't feel like spending 140 dollars right now, lol.

Edit: This is the cheapest one I've found.. http://cgi.ebay.com/MWS-5-STAGE-REVE...QQcmdZViewItem
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in Oregon we have really dry summers, so my solution is a 50 gal. plastic garbage can that I store rain water in or when it's dry tap water. I treat my tap water with conditioner sold for fish. I do have some mineral build up by the time dormancey starts, but that gets all washed away with our winter rains. Ten years plus and no problems. Jack
    'Celebrate the birth of our nation by blowing a little piece of it up'.The Simpsons.
    My grow list ~http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=107403

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, this is the one I have

Aqua Safe on Ebay

Ive had it about 2 yrs, no problems

my tapwater = 100ppm TDS, after the RO/DI = 0.00ppm TDS

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm... I think I will consider getting one of these this week.. It'll save me a lot of time and money.. no more running to the store all the time for distilled water.. Thanks for that link.

Oh and.. how big are they? In pictures it's hard to tell.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    big?
    hmmm the main filter assembly is about 18"x24", and then you have to have room for the accumulator tank which is 4 or 5 gallons if I remember correctly

after having one, you will wonder how you survived LOL

chorno,

if at all possible, go ahead and get their big package deal with the TDS meter and pressure Gauge, you will need those and they had a good package deal when I bought mine

hmmm I dont see that option on their list anymore, maybe you can ask..

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could be ghetto like me and use a 5 gallon bucket lmao

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast