What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally finished my terrarium - for one class: MOSSES

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hi guys,

Finally the silicone has hardened enough and I made this. BTW....after all that talk about a barrier, I got this done WITHOUT any barrier at all. Its just a idea based on different levels.

Note: the water was WAAAAY cleaner before....I was trying the waterfall without the pipe stuck to silicone and suddenly it snapped and pushed a lot of peat into the water making it yellow...till then it was perfect.

After that I waited a day (since last night) to let it dry and I used it tonight. I know its recommened time is 48 hrs...but meh!

so, here it is:

there is ONLY one family of plants in there. My most favourite and most close to heart, the MOSSES! (apart from the air plant ;) )

There is a selaginella fern which is like this creeper moss. Then there is the hard grown moss for the past 5 months. I love that moss. Its perfect.

Its interesting becos this is only a 5 gallon tank and it was very hard ot work wiht...but I think I achieved what I set out to make. I am going to return the pine and the other 1.99$ plant and probably get small airplants instead for this wood.

My parents love it soo much that they initially said they want to keep it when I go to uni and were planning on getting a pair of turtles to house in this. However, I looked up info and gave them the news about how much care, cleaning and stuff is required. Then they backed off the idea. I guess now they just like it as a peaceful little trickling waterfall. :)

I realise the little piece of red cloth sticking out...but I guess I am happy for now on the design...I can hide the cloth later when I get more moss. :)

cheers,

vraev

PS:: Is there any small animals you can recommend for the terraium? I mean hermit crabs?? something like that ? which doesn't eat all my moss, which doesn't mess it up too much. I don't want to clean this for like another year as I want the moss to take over.

I think 2 fire bellied toads/newts would be ok. It's not too small I don't think.

2 lepord frogs!

No, it's too small.

hmm....wouldn't the frogs jump out though? there is no cover :( . Can I have any bugs like scorpions in there? spiders?

Nice transformation. I like it!

Millipede to get rid of those ugly weeds.:p

thanks buddy :)

ugly weeds? r u serious? they are not weeds... :p

Would a giant millipede really work?, I would think that it would get introuble from the water.

Newts would probably work best animal wise. You may be able to find some tarantulas that can survive the wetness (tropical kinds) but it would need a top, and they would mess it up with web. Poison dart frogs are small, but I am pretty sure they require a larger tanks.

Back