Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: my grow rack is finished!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!

That T5 fixture kicks out a little more heat than I expected. Even with the high-speed fan it’s still pretty toasty… (I’ve had it get to 93°F in there once so far…)

I don’t have plants too close to the T5 bulbs. My few Neps and Dews didn’t like the heat so they were moved to the cooler second shelf. My VFT’s seem more durable so they’re on the first shelf soaking up the light and heat, and really seem to like it.

I think all that light is burning my retina’s out when working in the rack. Gonna have to wear some shades when traveling into the “Giant Box ‘o Light” from now on.

I think this summer I’ll be leaving the front flaps open because of the heat. But come winter that bedroom gets freakin’ cold from the north-west winds, so closed flaps will be sufficient.

As far as plant placement goes, I guess I’ll be experimenting on where stuff should go and keeping a very close eye on things. Looking for signs of wilting, discoloration, dryness etc. The lights are on a timer photoperiod of 14 hours. And the fan is on a 30 minute on/off cycle.

My few baby Sarrs are on the second cooler shelf with the Dews and Neps right now.
    I am kinda concerned on how the heat of the first shelf would effect their health. Sarrs appear to me as being rather fragile, so I’m babying them. I’d like to grow them outdoors of course but I cannot, as I live in an apartment building and fear plant-vandalism.

And my three little ‘box of death’ Cobra’s aren’t even in the grow rack. They’re in a large terra-cotta pot under their very own well-ventilated plant grow-lights. I know they’d frown at the heat of the lamps…

Anyway, thanks for the advice so far! Any more thoughts or pointers on what I should be doing or not doing?? THANX!
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not run the fan 24/7? I do. Although it's for circulation not ventilation. I have a 16 hour photoperiod.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how can u set like 30 min intervals. Can u set like 3 min intervals or so?? in my terrarium...the light is too close to the moss on top and I htink its burning it. I have to keep misitng it regularly to keep it nice....It would be useful to have a small fan ot cool it there. Can u please let me know how to make that fan?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    how can u set like 30 min intervals. Can u set like 3 min intervals or so?? It would be useful to have a small fan ot cool it there. Can u please let me know how to make that fan?

Well, I just have one of those standard home timers (get 'em from Walmart, Lowe's etc) that you can set as little as 30 minutes increments. And the timer that my lighting system is on, I can set as little as 15 minute increments.

It's kinda amazing what you can do with timers........
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aaah....but what about the fan? How did you wire a pC fan to a simple walloutlet? I wanted to do one of those...but i was afraid about wrecking an adapter. However, I now have an old phone adapter handy, can u give me some instructions please?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For our fans we just cut a cord from an appliance we didn't need and linked it to the pc fan. Pretty easily actually.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does it matter where the red and the black wire go?? are the wires colour coded? I "remember" reading something like that....cut off the PC fan ...2 wires.....just join those to the 2 wires in the phone charger adapter. Is that it?

thanks,

vraev

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny that you should bring up the 'fan issue' ...

I had decided to forego the idea of using the 80mm PC fan(s) and simply bought a cheapie $6 desk fan from Walmart. It is noisier than a standard PC fan but it kicks out A LOT more air; for both circulation and exhaust.

So no rewiring required. Simply plug it into a timer and there ya go......

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast