Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: my grow rack is finished!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    does it matter where the red and the black wire go?? are the wires colour coded? I "remember" reading something like that....cut off the PC fan ...2 wires.....just join those to the 2 wires in the phone charger adapter. Is that it?

thanks,

vraev
    V... there are a few things you need to consider, first the adapter must be the right type of voltage... is it AC or DC... depending on the phone it could be either.

next is it the right voltage level... usually computer fans are 12vdc IIRC

finally, does the adapter have sufficient current capacity... if it doesnt it will not be able to maintain its voltage level once it is under a load (fan running) and it will overheat and burn itself up

and yes, color coding does matter... if it is DC and you have it backwards the fan will run backwards... normally this will not be an issue if it is an AC setup

if it is a small processor cooling fan then probably most any adapter will be strong enough as long as the voltage is correct... if it is the main cooling fan for the cabinet... then you may have a problem with the adapter being "strong enough" to carry the load

in either case... feel the adapter for excessive heat at first... just to be safe

does that answer your questions?

legal disclaimer " Of course I suggest you consult a licensed electrician, my comments are purely academic and should not be considered as any type of do it yourself guide"

Av

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for answering av8tor. The phone adapter I have is like 5.8 volts or something. I guess all the fans I have seen are 12 volts.

I am guessing that this is not sufficient. is it?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, that is definitely not enough

you can get by with some drop in voltage but that is way too little, I would also assume that it's amperage is insufficient

I'm guessing you want to run an 80 or 120mm fan

visit the flea market, should be easy enough to find for a loonie or two

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vft guy in SJ View Post
    Nice looking rack for sure.. now you need to post pics of it with plants in it.

Well, I did take some quicky pics for friends & family, I can post those (these).........

Some VTF's and Sundews:

Some runty young Neps:

A small terracotta pot with two small Dioneae Dentè and a small -Sarr purpurea that is my elderly mother's birthday gift

I'm still figuring out what plant is happiest where on the grow-rack. The top shelf has the superior light but the most HEAT. The second shelf is much cooler but light quality is far less than that of the first shelf.

I'm discovering that the VFT's and Sarrs like the "big light" and can take the heat of the top shelf. While the Neps, Sundews and Cobras enjoy the cooler second shelf, and don't seem to mind a little less light.

P.S. I've rearranged some plants since these photos were taken BTW.....
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    no, that is definitely not enough

you can get by with some drop in voltage but that is way too little, I would also assume that it's amperage is insufficient

I'm guessing you want to run an 80 or 120mm fan

visit the flea market, should be easy enough to find for a loonie or two
    thanks mate. I will check out the dixie mall flea outlet. They have random stuff sometimes. Maybe I will get lucky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hows this workin out for you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to see an update as well! OK, I am going to ask a stupid question. Is there any problems, or could there eventually be a problem with the fluorescent fixtures inside the enclosure with high humidity?
    I don't want EVERY Sarracenia, just everyone that I see!!
    Growlist/Wantlist Updated 2/23/12:http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103039

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An update on the growrack?? Good idea.

Here are some pics:

My mom’s Mother’s Day gift that I made her this year. I had no idea that the purpurea would grow so fast and so large that it would crowd out the VFT dentes. WOW!

A pot o’ VFT’s that I grew outside all summer long. Now in my growrack. Still no signs of dormancy…

Common Neps growing happily right next to a Darlingtonia. Who knew ‘huh??

Some common dews that experienced a sudden growth spurt in the last couple months for some reason.

More dews, I’m letting a few flower this time…

Some hybrid Pings:

My VFT tray. Different cultivars. Some entering dormancy due to a shortened photoperiod in growrack:

And, here is an odd sight: A pitcher starting to grow into another pitcher!! Glad I caught it in time before it ballooned up. Made me think about how many times that happens in nature?

Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast