What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flooding/Milky Water?

CPsinSC

Ryan + Sara
I had to work a 15 hour shift out of town today and my wife/daughter are out of town as well. I came home to a clogged drain on my bog and the soil surface was under about 3" of water. I promptly drained the water with a drain at the level of the soil surface.
The thing that has me a bit worried is the water color. It was dark, but I had a spotlight on the side of the house so I could somewhat see .. but the water appeared to be a milky color. The side of the bog had some grit on it.. hard to tell if it was dirt or peat/sand.
The only place I can guess runoff could have come from is an area beside the bog - most of this area has clay/very low quality dirt (regular plants have trouble growing in it). There's a trench beside the bog to prevent runoff, but I guess if it rained as hard as the news said it did, it could have flooded.

Sorry for the rant, but I wanted to explain the situation to the best of my knowledge.

So.. I don't have a TDS meter to test my bog water. And I definately can't afford to yank everything out and redo it. After draining the bog, I did top water with a few gallons of distilled water and drain again. Have I done enough or should I repeat the process a few times? More rain is forecast for the next day and a half (and I have taken a shovel to the clay/dirt again - should take a massive flood to overflow again) - might the repeated cleansing of the rains to come be enough? :)

I also saw on the news that hail was in the storm that passed through ... pretty sure I got some of that, because some of the sarr lids were split/ripped :(

Any advice/suggestions on the bog would be much appreciated.

Back