Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dish Garden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dish Garden

This project turned out exceptionally well, and I thought it'd be a good one to share. It's a dish garden which will eventually house some Mexican Pinguicula in my office window at work.

Materials:

- Outer shell of self-watering pot from Wal-Mart ....... $5
    - Black plastic kitchen funnel, approximately 2.5" diameter from grocery store ....... $3 for pack of three different sizes
    - 25/25/50 peat/sand/perlite media ....... ~$0.50

I cut the funnel to the proper height, then flattened it using some needlenose pliers so that it takes up less surface area. Then, just held it in place and packed media around it until it was firmly in place. The funnel allows you to water the garden without spewing perlite, sand, and peat everywhere. It also allows you to monitor the water reserve level in the bottom of the undrained garden, so you don't drown your plants. The black color makes it pretty unobtrusive. No plants in it yet, and only little leaf pulling sprouts going into it for now. Patience.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's awesome! I'd love to put something together like that. Ingenious idea with the funnel for watering. That'll definitely keep everything cleaner and neater.

Do you know what Pings you're going to plant in there? I think some P. esseriana would look really nice.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some misc. pings in a bonsai dish. I can post pics if you want. If you won't laugh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    I have some misc. pings in a bonsai dish. I can post pics if you want. If you won't laugh
    I'd love to see them

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One is a little sunburnt since I moved it outside. I've got P. gigantea... uhhh kohres x montezumae, P. 'Aphrodite', uhhh.. P. jaumavensis... a couple other ones. I think that's it. I'm not into pings so I just threw them all in one dish. I'll post tomorrow. They are all small.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments. I'm envisioning one or two larger pings like John Rizzi or another moranensis derivative cross, and some smaller ones like esseriana/ehlersiae or the Yucco Do '1717' that I have. I like the idea of the softer pink/orange of the John Rizzi with the deeper pink of the esseriana/ehlersiae. It'll be like a carnivorous succulent dish garden!

PS: JLAP, you've gotta post your pic! I'm curious to see how this thing will look when it grows in, in like 3 years haha

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should get an aquatic Utric and put it in the funnel. Something like U. gibba would go nuts in there. I'd like to see it once it's planted.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrod View Post
    Thanks for the comments. I'm envisioning one or two larger pings like John Rizzi or another moranensis derivative cross, and some smaller ones like esseriana/ehlersiae or the Yucco Do '1717' that I have. I like the idea of the softer pink/orange of the John Rizzi with the deeper pink of the esseriana/ehlersiae. It'll be like a carnivorous succulent dish garden!

PS: JLAP, you've gotta post your pic! I'm curious to see how this thing will look when it grows in, in like 3 years haha
    Those would be cool choices. I've always wanted to try some undrained containers for CPs but I just don't have the room. Maybe someday....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast