What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking to build a bog

I am looking to do a bog garden in my regular garden in front of my house. I recent got a few VST's and 1 sarr. I also got a drosera from Lowes today (can this be outside with the rest?). Anyway my plan is to get one of those black plastic trays and sink it in the ground. Do i need to put holes in the bottom? Also i guess i plan to use a small funnel for watering and keeping tabs on water level. Is there any trick to the funnel or do you just pinch it closed some and shove it in ?

Thanks
Ken

Do i need to put holes in the bottom?

Hi Ken. You will not (and should not) put holes in the bottom of the container. The whole idea of a bog is to be wet and swampy. Some people do put holes along the top a few inches up so that if there is an excess of rain or water, it can drain out the top while still keeping the water in the bottom of the container. This prevents it from causing root rot on your plants. Good luck, and if you can post pictures when you are done!

xvart.

Thanks for the info. I will be sure to post the pics. I hope to get it set up sunday when i get back from camping but it will depend on how late i get back

I'm pretty sure your drosera from lowes is adelae. It will likely not do well outside (might even die)... not positive, but I think this one is better suited for terrarium life in most of the US.
When building your bog - make sure to have it sitting above ground level a few inches to prevent runoff into the bog. This is also good if you're going to have drainage holes a cpl inches down the side of the container - don't want anything outside the bog coming in :)

What soil media do you plan on using? First time I made my bog, I did peat/sand 50/50, but used play sand and had to do it over, lol. Best sand I've found is at pool supply stores - coarse quartz sand... close to white/clear in color.

I was planning 50/50 peat/sand. Thanks for the heads upm on the play sand lookslike ill stop at the pool store for some sand

I used sand last year and they still rotted. This year is my last and I'm going with perlite.

What specifically rotted? The bog that I recently put together had mostly just peat and sand in it. I want to know if I have reason for worry.

I originally used "typical" perlite, it is a mess when it rains... it floats to the top, clogs up the VFT's, gets stuck in the Droseras... etc etc etc

Eventually, moss covered the surface and the prob was solved, but it is a major pain for a season or two

I would suggest using something that doesn't separate and float so easily,

pumice, lava rock,...something.... just not perlite

YMMV,
Av

Back