What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternative Lighting System?

• Thread starter Peanut
  • Start date

Peanut

I like this
OK, my CPs aren't getting enough sunlight from where my house is faced so I will have to try an alternate. I decided to put them indoors and hang a light over it. Just before I do, I want to make sure if this is ok use.
:blush:
It is a clip-on, T4 12W 6400K FLOURESCENT LAMP

Picture033.jpg

Here's what it looks light when it's on.

Picture034.jpg

I am able to use this? If so, How would the set up be like? ???

It won't hurt em, but it still might not be enough. I'd put it as close to them as possible.

You know, you can get some of those clip on light shades...the ones that have an extension cord. I think they are called work light shades or something...anyway, and depending on how many plants you grow, buy a couple of high lumen, around 150 watts flourescent bulb....Energy savers they call them. It's cheap, and effective. It's what I use to grow a variety of neps, tropical sundews, Sarracenia seedlings, Darlingtonia, Sensitive plants, ... I just swear by them...they work. And Mine are about 14 inches from the lights. If used in a terrarium, they help to keep the temps, up....at or around 70 to 80.

12 watts is nothing.

it's enough to see a book your reading JLAP! :-D

I don't read books lmao. Maybe once a year lol

You better get used to it! Going to college and all! LMAO! Anyway, Peanut, you definitely need something stronger. If you have money, go spend it on a Flourescent Growlight Bar or something, if not, spend a little money on flourescent bulbs.. I'm sure a lot of people can give you cost friendly ideas. You just need more than 12 watts.

aw. OK how much do they usually cost on average?

Or just drop 20 bucks on a shop light that holds two 4' florescent bulbs. Or 40 bucks will get you two fixtures that hold four 4' florescent bulbs. That's what I (and many others use) and they work great. I had mine hooked up in my closet on a built in shelf, so you don't have to put the pedal to the metal on a grow shelf or anything like that. You could even hang it above the plants in the window and give them the bulb light supplemented by the window light.

xvart.

you can get 4 foot shop lights at walmart for $8
thats what I bought. I bought a 10 pack of cool white tubes for $10.
very cheap for fairly good lighting.

you can get 4 foot shop lights at walmart for $8

I guess next time I expand I'll be going there instead of Lowe's.

xvart.

People have told me that 40watt is the best and it has to be spirally. I find 40watts but they are not spirally or florescent. I've found spirallies, but not 40watts :(

People have told me that 40watt is the best and it has to be spirally. I find 40watts but they are not spirally or florescent. I've found spirallies, but not 40watts :(

Are the spirals you are talking about the size of a normal incandescent bulb? If so, you just have to remember that depending on how much space you need to grow under you will need more of those bulbs.

xvart.

Who tells you this? Those energy savers have a lot of restrike. And for that matter they come in larger sizes than just 40 watts.

Right now I only have 2 CP's so I only need 1 spirally

Back