Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repotting a Bog Bowl?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Repotting a Bog Bowl?

I was kind of wondering if I would have to like... change the peat in my bog bowl every couple years like you would with a potted plant? I should hope not... but really there's not much differences between the two.. size and drainage, that's just about it. A pot usually has drainage and my bog bowl does not. So what exactly is the point of repotting? Just to refresh the tannins and stuff or what?
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find a change of media every year or so is invigorating on plants.

Some Sarracenia lose their red color from the tannins with old media. You can change the media or replace the tannins with tea made from peat (or buy blackwater extract used in the aquarium hobby, I guess theoretically)

Oh I just realized I didn't really answer your question. No you don't have to as long as the media is healthy and there aren't anaerobic areas and it's not rotting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good.. because that's A LOT of media to change. I'm talking like 5 gallons of peat and sand. Not to mention, the root systems will be massive in 2 years. I'm thinking that since my bog bowl is undrained, the tannins won't go anywhere, but if they do I'll take your advice and use the tea.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful with an undrained container. Ever smelled Hydrogen sulfide? It's not nice to your nose. Or your plants' roots.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    since my bog bowl is undrained, the tannins won't go anywhere
    But neither will anything else that goes in there. For undrained things, I go by eye. If it's smelling funky (sulfur or otherwise) or there's a lot of decomposition going on or I have another noticeable reason to change the media, then I'll change the media. Another thing to watch out with such a large volume of media is compaction.

Remember with undrained containers that flooding is generally fine so long as the water is not stagnant for too long. During the winter (our rainy season) I need to dump my undrained pots every now and again during rainspells because the water stagnates because it isn't getting replace with rain. If I don't replace the water I get rot problems.

So, have you noticed anythign that'd warrant a media change?
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well since it rained yesterday, there is a bit of water sitting on top of the bowl right now, but when the sun comes out tomorrow most of it will evaporate. My bog bowl is pretty new, I built it maybe 2 months ago so I don't expect anything to warrant a media change yet. On the bottom of the bowl there is a small plug I can use to drain it if necessary. I think maybe if I flushed the whole thing with R/O water every once in a while it would keep it fresh, but we'll see.

Another thing.. what do you do with the old media that you remove? I no longer consider peat to be disposable and I would absolutely NOT want to just throw all of that out. I guess maybe if I rinsed it real well and let it dry out a bit then I could just reuse it for something else.

How do you actually change the media? Do you just dig out the plants.. bare root.. and then dump the rest out. That seems like it'd be the easiest way but it would definitely be hard on the plants. I guess that would be prime time for making divisions.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Changing media is just repotting into the same pot with new media.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoKiento View Post
    Another thing.. what do you do with the old media that you remove? I no longer consider peat to be disposable and I would absolutely NOT want to just throw all of that out. I guess maybe if I rinsed it real well and let it dry out a bit then I could just reuse it for something else.
    I've been dumping much of my old soil in low lying areas of my yard to help fill the areas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast