Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RO/DI basic schematic

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RO/DI basic schematic

I made this up for someone and thought it would be good to post, I know its kind of cheesey but oh well

Cheers'
    Av

Edit: adding additional comments as I think of them LOL

* bladder tank must be isolated from system during brine ratio measurements
    * hydraulically operated automatic shut off valves will typically shut off the inlet to the membrane when the outlet pressure reaches 60% of inlet pressure
    * In a real world system getting 85% of rated flow is about the maximum attainable**
    * at 85% a 100gpd system should produce about 7.5oz/minute (bladder isolated)
    * In bladder tank systems, membrane efficiency drops proportionally as the bladder tank fills. This is due to backpressure on the membrane outlet.***

** inlet pressure, water temperature and TDS will have a major effect on membrane output
    (TFC membranes are usually rated at 77 degrees Fahrenheit @60psig and for every 1 degree drop, production drops 1.4% (57f water would reduce efficiency by 28%))

*** This drop in efficiency can be prevented by the use of a permeate pump and 90% automatic shut off valve. The permeate pump isolates the membrane from this build up in back pressure. Since the pressure differential across the membrane now remains constant, membrane efficiency also remains constant resulting in greatly improved recovery rates. This isolation also allows us to replace the 60% ASO valve with a 90% ASO thereby utilizing more of the bladder capacity and increasing output pressure. These modifications will result in a 60-80% drop in water consumption and brine output. In addition, this drop in water consumption also results in a proportional increase in prefilter life. A nice, simple and fairly inexpensive mod for any system using a bladder accumulator tank.

is all that clear as mud?

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooohh... So now I can build my own! All I need are a few gray boxes, a couple gray circle thingies, and some gray cords, right?! lol.

Just kidding. This is very informative and educational. Thanks for sharing this as it will be nice to know the inner workings of a R/O unit whenever I may get one in the future.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ya nut

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey...that's cool! I can create charts like that. But that doesn't mean I understand it. lol

Actually it does make sense. Nice visual!
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good information, I never thought of a filter post holding tank for woolybuggers in there.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks you two, I hope it helps someone.. i will try to add the schematics for the permeate and booster pump systems soon

the basic systems are really simple, but its the tweaking for peak efficiency or troubleshooting them that seems to result in the most questions

my RO/DI/PP/90% system:
    blue = permeate
    blk = prefiltered water
    yellow = brine
    red = fresh water inlet
    white = bladder tank
    clear = inlet and outlets to system

Av
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 07-13-2007 at 07:10 PM. Reason: add image