Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Terrarium

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are right as you say bags are not necessary, especially in a tank.

We're just not on the same wavelength (which is typical for me).

The point I was trying to make is that the use of bags should not be dismissed completely (which really wasn't the point you were making either). You may want to use them in if you are without a tank for humidity and maybe temperature control.

For the sake of argument:

The ICPS guide says: "What you do next depends on what works best for you. Everyone has their own preferred routine." How is that outdated? How does that make one given example (bagging) the only "truth"?

I prefer bagging my pots, and I do not normally put them in a tank.

Yes it rains in nature and some seeds, not all, get pushed into the media by rain drops or covered by media displaced by the rain. Buried seeds are less likely to germinate probably because they remain too wet and the plant/seed rots. By avoiding top watering you lessen the chances of attrition in this manner. All the guides I've read say not to cover/bury the seeds and to avoid top watering for this reason, but I suppose those could be outdated as well as irrelevant.

Plastic in itself does not add warmth however as you note there maybe an ever so slight greenhouse effect (thermal trapping). Another possible thermal effect could occur by raising the RH to 100% inside the bag. There would be little or no surface evaporation and thus little or none of the cooling effects from the surface evaporation. The net effect might be that an uncovered pot could be slightly cooler on the surface than a covered/sealed pot. If you want to nitpick this is not adding warmth. And of course it would make no difference if the RH was the same in or out of the bag. Least you poo-poo the effects of evaporative cooling just remember what how a hot humid day feels compared to an equally hot dry day.

Before you dismiss the effects of a difference of 1 or 2 degrees just remember 1 degree difference means the difference between ice and water. And mammals often fight off minor infections with the help of a rise of body temperature of 1 or 2 degrees.

Then again I don't grow Neps and species requirements can differ in many areas.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The info regarding nep seeds is outdated...sphagnum is not a preferred media anymore. It also says temps above 80 are required for germination, which isn't true, since highland seeds germinate better under highland conditions. It says germination may take 6 weeks or longer, which is true, but it shouldn't if you know what you're doing...my average germination time is 3 weeks.

" When the seed germinates, give the seedlings some air circulation to help combat any mold that may spontaneously generate When the seed germinates, give the seedlings some air circulation to help combat any mold that may spontaneously generate"
    I was not aware that life could "spontaneously" create itself.

But anyway, thats all in regard to neps...I don't grow many drosera but the ones I have grown from seed, I always top watered and they seemed to do fine. I've got a batch of something...I think D. intermedia that is popping up now
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drosera intermedia thrive in waterlogged conditions and some populations are practically semi-aquatic throughout their growing seasons. The seeds may be adapted to survive being waterlogged.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12