Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking First Terrarium

Im so happy after a couple months my first seeds have sprouted out of a 10gallon terrarium i made.

How does it look

Men often hate each other because they fear each other; they fear each other because they don't know each other; they don't know each other because they can not communicate; they can not communicate because they are separated.
    ~MLK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What seeds are in those pots?
    Looks like too much water in the bottom too me. 1/4" is usually good...no more than 1/2" is needed.
    Personally, I wouldn't leave the pots sitting in water. I'd either put a bunch of gravel/lava rock in the bottom so it elevates them but they still get the humidity benefit, or stand those pots on upside mesh pots (like for orchids). This will also help to raise the pots towards the light, which will definitely help with growth.

Oh and if there are VFT or Nep seeds in those pots, the bags are unnecessary. They'll get enough humidity from the standing water. Can't say about drosera or anything...I've managed to kill every drosera ever and haven't ever gotten seeds to sprout. Oh well...I'm a neps only guy anyway.
    Those bags also block out a significant portion of light, especially with the condensation. Light is probably the most important thing in growing Nepenthes from seed.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh ok the one in the back is a vft i will make sure to get that out of the water as of watering it though

The rest are drosera and it seems to work sitting them in the water like that they have been like that for several months and they all sproted multiple plants
    Men often hate each other because they fear each other; they fear each other because they don't know each other; they don't know each other because they can not communicate; they can not communicate because they are separated.
    ~MLK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In that case I would just take the bags off the pots, decrease the water level to 1/4" to 1/2
    ", and let everything be for the time being
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PhissionKorps is right, light is the key. You probably won't need those bags.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah....I have had VFTs from seed and drosera from seed. Both don't need those bags. light is the key. As long as the media is nice and wet.....that is enough humidity for them. ALso Vft's don't need humidity...I grow my adult VFT's in like 30 - 40% humidity. They are pretty ok without any humidity. Infact, excess humidity can only cause problems.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always seal my germination pots in bags or under domes. Both the ICPS germination guide and Tamlin prefer sealing them. The added humidity and warmth seems to encourage germination. Plus it helps to keep out fungus gnats, the larvae of which will munch your seedlings. According to Tamlin light is not really essential for germination, at least for Drosera. It is once the plants sprout. See this article on sowing Drosera.

Another plus is that you don't have to water pots sealed in bags. Otherwise you might forget and top water which could be fatal to the seeds.

I keep them sealed until there are about 4 true leaves on the majority of the plants. Then I slowly open the bag/dome over a period of one or two weeks. After that put them outdoors or under lights on a growshelf or in a tank for tropicals.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bags aren't needed. Especially in conditions where there's already that much standing water. Just because the ICPS guide says something doesn't make it true. Their germination guide for neps is outdated as well. Plus, a bag is not going to "add warmth". 1) those bags aren't hermetically sealed, 2) even if they were, the amount of air in them and the distance from the lights are both not sufficient to raise the temp more than maybe a degree or two.

The water argument is irrelevant. I think you're missing the point that theyre standing in water. The bag isn't going to do anything. Also, watering from the top won't kill seedlings...don't you think it rains in the wild?
    Z polski y dumny
    ^^^Newest vid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast