User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: natural lighting for highland neps. qs.

michael1975
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

natural lighting for highland neps. qs.

Hi everyone,

I have recently set up a few highland neps (ventricosa, truncata, aristolochiodes, and ramispina) in my living room. I mist about 4 times a day, and the temps are in the upper 70s during the day, and upper 60s at night. I'm concerned about whether I am giving them enough light though. From 8 to 11 in the morning they get a decent amount of filtered sun light. But from noon onward its mostly shaded. I enclosed some photos which should give an idea of the light levels around mid-day. (I know I could get a grow light, but I've already gotten complaints that I turned the room into a mess--so that may not be an option)

Any opinions if I'm starving these neps of sun? Thanks for your time.

Michael
    Last edited by musamusa1975; 08-04-2007 at 09:51 PM. Reason: typo: aristolochiodes

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can't add any grow lights there's really nothing you can do except cut down some trees and maybe a fence. You could try growing them outside since you're in cali.

Unless you want to make you're house all 80's style and add a mirrored wall, which would look... worse than a shop light

I also don't think upper 60's at night is good enough long term for the aristo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What part of california do you live in. If you live close to the coast i would grow them outside.

michael1975
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Oakland--up in the hills. We get a fair amount of fog at night and in the morning. So I suppose it's an option to put them outside. The temps would go down to the upper 50's, so that should definitely be chilly enough for them I would think. Would hate for a squirrel to come buy though and tear them up though.....

(I'll consider going retro and putting up mirrors everywhere too)