Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: contiplating what to do with new fish tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poolboy101 View Post
    I would agree with JLAP and RoGeTa, It is hard to have a orignal looking tank with fresh water.
    I disagree, here's my freshwater tank, I don't think it looks less orginal than RoGeTa's tank. This tank is a 55-gallon by the way, so don't blame the tank if you can't make it look nice! However, I'm waiting to move, I will probably abandon this tank and go for the wider 72-gallon bowfront. Given the choice, I will never own another 55-gallon in the future, too skinny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. He's a Midas cichlid and he's the meanest fish you'll ever meet, lol! Unfortunately any fish I put in there is as good as dead, including my hands. Rotten stinker, I love him!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael - very nicely done!

Julie - What exactly is a Midas Cichlid?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're New Worlds, Amphilophus citrinellus. They're often confused and closely related to A. labiatus, the Red Devil Cichlid. They'll get 12-15" and can be very difficult to keep with any other fish. Big and mean!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing the pic! Tropical fish was my childhood hobby and young adulthood job at a wholesaler. That species is totally new to me. Does it appear in TFH or FAMA? Is it South American? And I wonder why or how it hadn't been catalogued years ago.

My speed of Cichlid is Convict & Jewel, ones I bred when I was a teen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with what you mean by TFH or NAFA? Do you mean the magazines?

They are Central Americans, being found in Nicaragua and the Atlantic side of Costa Rica. It was first described in 1864 by GŁnther.

Here is a page with loads of inromation you might be interested in. I hope this helps!
    http://nis.gsmfc.org/nis_factsheet.php?toc_id=173

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw this in the fact sheet:

Midas cichlids were introduced through intentional or accidental releases by recreational aquarists or from nearby fish farms (Anderson et al., 1984; Courtenay et al., 1984; Courtenay and Stauffer, 1990).
    That explains its late introduction to the market. It does remind me a bit of the Red Devil and a relatively recent hybrid between a Red Devil and something else. I think it's called a Parrot Cichlid, or something to that effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The quote you are referring to is actually specifically referring to the populations in the Gulf of Mexico and Florida, where the fish are not native. They are native in the areas I mentioned in my previous post.

They're very closely related to Red Devils, and often confused.

And yes, Parrot Cichlids are hybrids which were originally created by crossing several species of fish (the exact cross is unknown), but Midas cichlids are regarded as one of them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast