What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glass vs. Plexiglass

EdaxFlamma

The Consuming Flame
Simple and straightforward question right? If you were going to build a terrarium would you use glass or some sort of plexiglass such a lexane? And this is excluding the thought of using an old aquarium etc. This is building a terrarium from scratch. I'm unsure which would be better suited for my terrarium.

I currently have a box made out of styrofoam which I have fiberglassed and am planning to put in a sliding glass/plexiglass door similar to a conventional medicine cabinet. *thinking of a better way to describe the door* Something like the sliding glass doors that big retail stores keep video games and dvds locked up in. I am also still looking for some of that track so if you know where I can find it that would be some help too haha.

Thanks,
-J.P. :-D

plexiglass. its easier to cut to shape, easy to work with, cheaper, dosent break and still has the clarity to see your beloved plants!
Alex

Are you thinking of something like this?

186258900O917027041.jpg

I used glass.

Yes!!!! Thats it Ozzy!!! Where did you find it?!?!? *needs a 48" strip*

-J.P.

Very nice! but what I meant was, where did you find the hardware? aka the tracks the rollers glass etc? Home Depot? or Lowes? *asks this for information about the glass and hardware only* <-- my non advertising disclaimer

Thanks!
-J.P.

I would only go with the Plexi if you need to drill into it. Glass is really cheap and will not scratch. Also if you don't buy the plexi thick enough it will bow and pop out of the tracks.

I found metal U channels too expensive while building my setup, I routed my own tracks.

This is how they turned out with glass doors.

PlantShelfv3_5.JPG

Pic of the setup, you can hardly see the glass until you're smashing into it. My setup has 3 sliding glass doors, all can be shifted around depending on the work I'm doing. Also the space is big enough that any flies flying around will find their way into the setup, but not out.
PlantShelfv3_3.JPG

Here's my post with all the pics...
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109483

I went to a local glass shop for the glass and the tracks.

Thanks a bunch guys! I hope to be able to post pictures of my new set up (and its construction) once it is complete!

Thanks again!
-J.P.

Slightly on topic; what is the best greenhouse material?

Back