What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too late to start a bog garden?

Hey! I am thinking about starting a small bog garden in my backyard with some sarracenia, temperate sundews, and some dionaea. My question is: is it too late in the season to make one? With it already September, there will not be much time for the plants to grow before they go dormant. What do you guys think? I live in Tennessee, so the weather is still getting up around 85-95 in the day and down to around 65-70 at night.

Hi Trek, I think that it would be ok to build them if you want but personally, I don't think that I would put any plants in there yet. Moving the plants right now may set them back a little and they should kinda be preparing for their winter rest. They may do fine though as they are pretty tough plants. You could build the bogs and let the peat get settled and then put the plants in in spring. I just built 5 myself this spring. Just my opinion. By the way, I live in TN too. What part of TN do you live?

Okay, thanks for your advice, I'm still considering what I should do with them. What do you do for your bog gardens in the winter? Do you mulch them or just let them be? Do you have any pictures of your gardens, I'd be interested to see how they do in Tennessee weather!! I'm in Knoxville, where do you live??

Are they inside right now or outside in pots?

xvart.

Right now, neither! I haven't bought any plants yet. I was going to set the bog up first then order all the plants.

I think that I will just wait and get all my plants and prepare for how I will do it and make it next spring, thanks everyone.

Back