What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I was at the hobby shop today, and I was looking in the science section when I saw a carnivorous creations box. I had thought about buying one, but I decided not too. I couldn’t resist I had to have it! It was actually better than I thought. The only bad advice they gave was to fertilize in spring.

It contains:
Vfts
Cobra lily
S. flava
S. Minor
S purpurea
S. alata
D. Intermedia
D. filiformis
D. roundifolia

I realized I should have taken pictures, so this is after I prepared the seeds for stratification.
CIMG5253.jpg

CIMG5193.jpg

It came with “swamp rocks"
CIMG5199.jpg

It also came with "bog buddies"
CIMG5195.jpg

The dome wouldn’t fit in my refrigerator, so I put plastic wrap on it. I cut a few slits in it for ventilation.
CIMG5201.jpg

You should have done a search or at least posted your intentions prior to buying that kits.

Most likely the seeds are no longer viable. Unrefrigerated Drosera and VFT seeds lose their viablility after a few weeks - maybe 6 weeks.

I got one of the kits for my birthday a couple years ago and the only thing that sprouted was one Sarracenia. My cousin got one at the same time and nothing sprouted except some moss. There were no Darlingtonia seeds in my packet.

The Sarracenia (about 1 year old now) appears to be a minor from the coloring.

The concept of the kit is good but Dunecraft should guarantee the freshness of the seeds by having you send in a coupon.

Anyway, good luck. Maybe you got one with fresh seeds.

I'm not expecting a lot, but there was a sale and it was a impulse buy.

Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the kit?

And I completely agree about the need for a coupon for seeds redeemable through the mail. That way you'd be guaranteed fresh stock. Even better, they should just send you actual young plants to put in the bog.

It was $15.

If the seeds don't germinate I will try to get a new pack from the company. One guy on amazon said he got them to send him four packs, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

That's not a bad price for an impulse buy. I hope at least some of the seed germinates for you.

$15 is not bad. Those usually go for $25. You could easily spend $15 just buying about the same size bag of CP mix - most of that going to shipping. You can always buy a load of VFTs from Andrew and use it as a mini-bog. The mix seems to be of good quality.

wow

My kit took a while to germinate about three months.seeds grow slowly,If you are impatient you are better off just buying a plant.only one flytrap germinated and it hasn't grown much.It looks like you already bought the kit so if your seeds germinate when they get larger you should repot them.I haven't had mold trouble with the kit.
Here is a picture of of the same kit I bought it online for 25$

august312007034.jpg

mostrecentpics031.jpg

When I first got into this hobby, now 4 years ago, I basically tapped out Lowes, Home Depot, and the like. And then.... I discovered the discussion forums. It took me a few more months to discover the trading post. I would say that ~95% of what I have, has come from a bazillion forum members, at a fraction of the cost of online stores and retailers. You just can't beat that!

Back