What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bluegrass Bog Garden 9/07

glider14

Always a newbie
Hey everyone! i dont think ive shown many pics of my bog garden this year. i actually have 2....with one being for my sarr seedlings.
Enjoy!
IMG_1602.jpg

Leucophylla(its open now...ill get a pic of that tomorrow!)
IMG_1592.jpg

Open!!
IMG_1609.jpg

one of my favorite pics
IMG_1616.jpg

Forest of flowering D. intermedia
IMG_1610.jpg

IMG_1614.jpg

'Red Dragon'
IMG_1598.jpg

random pygmy that popped up at the beginning of summer.
IMG_1599.jpg

D. burmanni forest....where all the seeds dropped one day...
IMG_1591.jpg

D. burmanni-double trouble
IMG_1597.jpg

one more post to come.....

alright. i have 2 forms of D. filiformis right here. one from seeds. and one from leaf cuttings. both were labled as D. filiformis ssp filiformis. anyone know for sure??
IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

seedling bog....with invading D. burmanni
IMG_1603.jpg

S. purpurea that popped up in a packet of mixed hybrid(open pollinated) seeds. nice :D
IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

and one of the two(the other didnt come out well) of the filiformis
IMG_1593.jpg

S. leucophylla red..though i am thinking it is Danas Delight...anyone know?
IMG_1612.jpg

Alex

Very nice!

Looks very nice.

My only concern is the plastic. How's the plastic of the rectangular tub holding up? I think I see a few chips and cracks. It's been my experience that plastic like that gets brittle (thanks to the sun) pretty quickly but is fine so long as you don't put any extra stress on it.
For future reference, opaque plastic like that used in dish tubs and the like seems to hold up without any trouble and can be found in similar sizes. Furthermore, I prefer opaque containers because then I don't get unwanted things growing below the soil line.

Nice closeups, btw. I especially like the orientation of the 2nd D. filiformis. Good job!

My only concern is the plastic. How's the plastic of the rectangular tub holding up? I think I see a few chips and cracks. It's been my experience that plastic like that gets brittle (thanks to the sun) pretty quickly but is fine so long as you don't put any extra stress on it.
haha yea. i didnt know that when i set it up last year! next year they will all be moved to pots. much neater and much easier to move plants around!

thanks for the comments.
Est: ive been looking up pics of the filiformis....the one with red tentacles is ssp filiformis. and the other is....ssp tracyi? ssp tracyi has big glue drops and that specimine matches that. or could it be california sunset? the one with red tentacles is sending up a small flower stalk. ill get a pic of the flowers when/if they open in time for the first frost.

Alex

Nice ! I will post up some of my new pictures of my bog but I like yours more because of all of the dews.

EDIT: adding and replacing some pics...

Amazing closeups! I love the Leucophylla lip closeup!

xvart.

Go to lowes and look in the cement section. You will find black tubs that will last alot longer then those clear tubs. I used the clean tubs on year too.

I am no expert, but that purp looks like a hybrid. Seemes a little long to me. Mine are more squat and fatter than yours is looking.

Very nice pictures BTW!!

Back