What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heating a detached greenhouse

Hi guys, does anyone have any suggestions for heating a detached greenhouse (say, about 20 feet from the house?)

Does anyone run an outdoor extension cord from the house to the greenhouse?! Just wanted to get some ideas...

Thanks!
Rob

I do run an extension cord from the house to the green house, but not for heating (well, there is a small supplement heater) but the main heater is a propane heater hooked to a 100lb tank. Do you know how much heating you need yet? If not, use this calculator and it will help you decide: http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/heat-calc.shtml

Andrew

You can use an extension cord, but make sure it is a heavy duty one rated to handle at least 1500 watts. Most 120 volt heaters max at 1500 watts. If you go over i believe you will need 240 volt.

thanks guys!

i probably wont need much of a heater because my area in winter RARELY gets to even freezing. i just tried the calc out -- i think i tried it out,

12289 btu, 12.05cu feet nat gas, 3600 watter per hour. im going to build some heat sinks by using old 55 gallon aquariums painted black on 3 sides, and leaving the face open and have some aquatics in there... lets see how it works!

i think im going to have a fireplace in the greenhouse while roasting marshmallows and making smores. LOL!! :-))

oh im going to start assembling the greenhouse tomorrow. I CANT WAIT!!!! WOHOOO!!!!!

What type/size greenhouse do you have?

Jerry

Hi Jerry!

Rion 8 x 12, i start assembly --- well at least soil leveling -- saturday!!

Are you going to photo document it and keep us posted on the progress?

xvart.

Yeah, take pictures as you go. It is really cool to watch!! Here is the one I did: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100462

It really doesn't take that long to stand back and take a picture. Especially if you have someone helping but you're doing most the work.... they can take the pictures :D (that was my case hahahahha)
-Andrew

PS wow- next month that thing will be 2 years old... amazing!

of course!!!! i will!! heading out to start the foudation work now!! :)

Is it from a kit or from DIY plans?

a kit... but.... GRR!!! its missing peices!!!!!! NOOOO!! i cant finish!!! its ONLY a few of the peices for the BASE that are missing!!!!:censor:

Back