What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much artificial light?

Hi,
I am planning to set up a small growspace in my kitchen. I was wondering if anyone could point me to any specific brands of growlight that are reliable? Specifically, what light do you use for the following plants:
-Drosera capensis
-Drosera adalae
-Pinguicula tina

Thank you!

Normal florescent lights will work well. The more the merrier, obviously.

xvart.

Thanks Xvart, I think I can get some of those from my local pet shop. All these electronic aspects of plant growing confuse the heck out of me. ???

You can buy four-foot long shop light fixtures at Lowe's or Walmart or someplace similar. One fixture that holds two lights will cost about ten bucks.

xvart.

All 3 would be fine at a window sill, open tray, and very simple.

All 3 would be fine at a window sill, open tray, and very simple.

Yeah, but in the winter the sun goes behind the trees so I have to get ready to supplement. Right now I'll probably just put them on a sill, but I have to be prepared.

True, but by then the leaves have fallen off. But more power to ya if you can supplement the lighting. I'm doing the same for my equatorial plants.

old aquarium lights work well. Walmart sells plant flourescent that fits in most old tank hoods.

Get 4ft long T8 or T12 shoplights (I prefer T8s). You can get them at Wal Mart for cheap, or Home Depot for about twice the cost. You're better off paying for the best brand fixture you can afford (Home Depot/Lowe's). I've found that the cheaper fixtures tend to blow out over time, and cost more to fix/replace than I would have spent if I'd bought decent lights to begin with. For bulbs, go with half 4100K and half 6500K bulbs. This gives great color and awesome growth. Keep in mind that 2ft fixtures are more compact and easier to use in a small growing area, but 4ft bulbs are way way cheaper! I've had some trouble with Mexipings and D. adelae under very bright light, so try to keep them at the edges of your growing area. The capensis and most other sundews will take as much light as you can give them, and still beg for more.

If you're looking for the best solution, check out Aquarium Hobbiest Supply (ahsupply.com). They sell pre-made wooden hoods and fantastic compact fluorescent kits. Their kits are also great for retro-fitting existing fixtures.

If you want more information, just post questions here. I've done a nerdly amount of research into lighting for CPs, orchids, and aquaria. I'll answer anything I can, and try to help with anything I can't....

PS:

Don't worry about getting "grow lights." 4100K and 6500K fluorescent tubes with a high CRI (color rendering index) are very effective.

Also, invest in a grounded timer. It'll stop "cloudy" days when you forgot to turn on your lights, and lets you adjust day length throughout the year to promote flowering. I run my lights 16hrs spring, 18hrs summer, 16hrs fall, 14hrs winter. I've got a lot of fall-flowering plants starting to bloom, so it seems to be working. As always, YMMV...

Back