What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tried again but failed

I need to know how to plant these seeds? Do they need to be dormant? Just sprinkle on top? What do i do. Please give me detailed info. These are the seeds i will planting: D. binata, D. intermedia, D. aliciae, mixed sarracenia and a pack of gammae from the pygme

from my experience of sarr seeds:

it takes anywhere up to 4 months (can germinate earlier too) for seeds to germinate. I had seeds taht underwent stratification and also ones that I didn't stratify to germinate. But only 10% of all the seeds I used germinated so I am clearly not a sarr grower.

I have only 2 good looking seedlings. Another one looks like crap somewhere. :p germinated in the shadows of a capensis forest. :p

1812474890_efe40ccf74_o.jpg

1811631307_97172e431a_o.jpg

All but D. aliciae are plants that require a dormancy. Sarracenia seeds need a cold and wet period of few weeks before sowing. All seeds can be sown in moist media, covered, in indirect light - and then ignored for a few weeks.

But actually one of these seedlings came from a seed that didn't get stratification.

Drosera binata and aliciae do not need stratification. Just sow them into pots and germinate.
Gemmae are tiny dormant plants - just plant them and give them the proper growing conditions.

The Drosera intermedia and Sarracenia seeds should have cold stratification.

Germination guides can be found here:

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/seedgermguide.htm

Back