Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Rain water"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reverse Osmosis refers to a process whereby water is forced through a medium (membrane) forcing the particulates to separate from the water. Think of a coffee filter. If you place murky water on top of a coffee filter, clearer water will drip out from the bottom. Distillation refers to a process whereby water is boiled off, and the steam is collected. The purity of the water in both processes is measured in PPM (parts per million). Distilled water is more pure (less PPM) than reverse osmosis water, and thus better suited for CP's. It is also very similar to rain water (water from the earth evaporates, collects in the atmosphere, and rains down akin to distilled water). Either type of water however, has a very low PPM rating and are both very good for CP's. A solar still could best be described as producing distilled water, and therefore would be suitable. I suggest looking around the internet for an inexpensive plastic solar still which you can just place somewhere in the yard to get some sun. Make sure the solar still that you buy collects water as soon as it condenses to dripping point. This way you don't have to flip the plastic dome over to collect the water.

Edit: Oh yeah, about Reverse Osmosis (RO) water: You can buy a commercial unit for a little over 100$ I believe. It should be capable of producing more than enough water for your needs. This is a good route to follow, as it is capable of producing large amounts of water quickly. The only drawback is that you occasionally will have to replace the filters. You can also buy an add-on distiller for some units, to further purify the water.
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddhistAdam View Post
    lol just askin...
    How can i get safe water from tap? let it sit out for 24 hours? Boil? I really need to know cause i have no other choice....
    sitting for 24 hours is no good..all that does is let the chlorine evaporate..all the minerals that make the water "hard" are still there..they dont go away.

boiling makes it WORSE!

the problem with tap water for CPs is "mineral hardness"..minerals in the water..virtually all tap water has minerals..the only water that does not have minerals is rain water, distilled water, or reverse-osmosis water.

boiling water boils off all the pure water (as steam) leaving the remaining water harder than it was before boiling! because now you still have all the same minerals as before (they dont boil off) and LESS pure water than before, because some went away as steam.
    so the overall hardness actually increases.

The best way to gets tons of good pure water for FREE is to collect rain water.
    I made a new rainwater collector this spring..im just about to put it away for the winter..
    I will take some photos this afternoon and post them tonight.

some people do have "soft" enough tap water that they can use it for CPs! but its very rare..if you get those white "water spots" or calcium build up on your shower curtain, your tap water is too hard.

Scot

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It takes 4 hours to get 5 gallons of water? If not I need to start selling RO units to those damned boy scouts!

There are kitchen-top units that can distill water for you. But compared to buying an RO unit it just seems inefficient. On the plus side, you could probably make some nice moonshine when you're not making water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    It takes 4 hours to get 5 gallons of water? If not I need to start selling RO units to those damned boy scouts!
    Eh? Where are you getting those numbers? Is that how quickly an RO unit takes or something?
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepenthes View Post
    Eh? Where are you getting those numbers? Is that how quickly an RO unit takes or something?
    i just broke down and bought distilled water...
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Takes my unit 4 hours to make 5 gallons. Low water pressure I guess since it's rated 100 GPD but at that rate only makes 30 GPD.

Ehh, good enough for me. I get 3 ppm RO water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    Takes my unit 4 hours to make 5 gallons. Low water pressure I guess since it's rated 100 GPD but at that rate only makes 30 GPD.

Ehh, good enough for me. I get 3 ppm RO water
    Thats damned good mate! lol i have to buy mine for $1.40 a gal
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddhistAdam View Post
    Thats damned good mate! lol i have to buy mine for $1.40 a gal
    $0.89 per gallon here. It's just inconvenient when I need water...

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast