Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Rain water"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Rain water"

Does anyone (besides me) know how to get fresh drinking water from urine using a sand pit, plastic wrap, and a cup? And if so could this be used for water for CPs if enough is produced?
    All fear violence, all are afraid of death.
    Seeing the similarity to oneself, one should not use violence or have it used.
    The Buddha
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...r1?ref=profile

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddhistAdam View Post
    Does anyone (besides me) know how to get fresh drinking water from urine using a sand pit, plastic wrap, and a cup? ?
    sure! its a basic condenser, a "solar still"..learned how to make one in Boy Scouts..
    its taught as way to get water in the desert..put cut cactus pieces under the plastic, (or if really desperate, urine I suppose works!) let the water evaporate, water condenses on the plastic and drips down into a container.

And if so could this be used for water for CPs if enough is produced?
    in theory, sure...but it depends on how many plants you have, and how much urine you can produce!

my question is..why would you possibly want to bother??
    If your tap water is too hard for CPs..just put the tap water in the still!
    that will also condense and yeild pure water..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine you're talking about evaporating the urine, collecting it on the plastic wrap, and having it drip into the cup? The plastic would of course make a cone inside the sand pit (This is known as a simple Solar Still). While evaporated water is not 100% pure (just as distilled water is not 100% pure), this is a good way of making suitable water for CPs, so long as your solar still is big enough. You can even do this with salt water, as some people in other countries are forced to do. In fact, this is a great survival technique and there are different variations on methods. Of course, for sanitary purposes, I would not recommend using your urine lol. You can however, use hard tap water, or any other water available. I do remember reading somewhere however, that some particulates (and microbes) can be carried by the evaporated water and can still pose a health risk. Most other sources however, cite solar stills as a good method of producing fresh clean drinkable water. To be on the safe side though, I would just buy a commercial mini solar still and use tap water. You can also boil the water afterward if you are in a survival situation and don't want to take any risks.

Edit: I just saw ScottyChaos' post (posted minutes before mine) and I wanted to point out that the cactus method (or other vegetation) is one of the variations I was talking about. You can also wrap a plastic bag around certain large leaves and the transpiration of the leaves should yield water that collects in the bag. Anywho hope this helps.

P.S. I definitely agree with the no urine rule lol. Might as well use tap water (unless of course you're stuck in a survival situation with one of your CP's and you would rather give it your urine water than drink it to survive lol).
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For anyone who isnt sure, this is what we are talking about:

dig a pit in the ground, put things in the pit that have moisture..cut pieces of cactus..or urine!

put a container in the middle of the pit, to catch the water.
    lay clear plastic over the pit, seal the edges with rocks or dirt.
    place a rock in the center of the plastic so that the condensing water drips to the center and into the container. A solar still.

Scot

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That will take FOREVER to get enough water. Just buy some distilled water or get an RO unit if you can afford it.

We have a drought here in Georgia but this is just ridiculous

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    That will take FOREVER to get enough water. Just buy some distilled water or get an RO unit if you can afford it.

We have a drought here in Georgia but this is just ridiculous
    lol just askin...
    How can i get safe water from tap? let it sit out for 24 hours? Boil? I really need to know cause i have no other choice....
    The Buddha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you get a decent enough mini-solar-still you can yield up to a liter a day of fresh water. This should be more than enough for your plants (according to your grow list). You can even save the leftover water for future use, so you don't have to tend to the still daily (removing the fresh water, replacing the tap water, etc.). BTW, letting water sit out for 24 hours will only allow some of the chlorine to evaporate. Boiling it will only kill off the microorganisms in the water. The real issues with using tap water are the particulates dissolved in the water. The chlorine is a problem as well, but even after that has evaporated you will still need to get rid of the minerals from hard tap water. Anywho, hope this helps. Good Luck.

Oh yeah JLAP, it really doesn't take forever to get enough water, as this is what some people must do to survive, and we drink much more water than a few CPs need. If he had a greenhouse full of plants, I would say this would be infeasible as well, but a liter of water a day should be enough for a good amount of plants.
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is useful. So i need distilled water (right?) What is reverse osmosis? How do i obtain it? Any ideas on how to make a still. I looked on the net and i reappy cant dig a hole in pops yard nor construct a box. A bottle or jar some how?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepenthes View Post
    If you get a decent enough mini-solar-still you can yield up to a liter a day of fresh water. This should be more than enough for your plants (according to your grow list). You can even save the leftover water for future use, so you don't have to tend to the still daily (removing the fresh water, replacing the tap water, etc.). BTW, letting water sit out for 24 hours will only allow some of the chlorine to evaporate. Boiling it will only kill off the microorganisms in the water. The real issues with using tap water are the particulates dissolved in the water. The chlorine is a problem as well, but even after that has evaporated you will still need to get rid of the minerals from hard tap water. Anywho, hope this helps. Good Luck.

Oh yeah JLAP, it really doesn't take forever to get enough water, as this is what some people must do to survive, and we drink much more water than a few CPs need. If he had a greenhouse full of plants, I would say this would be infeasible as well, but a liter of water a day should be enough for a good amount of plants.
    The Buddha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast