Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Petiolaris Set-up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Petiolaris Set-up

I am getting back into growing CPs after a few years break of mostly focusing on succulents. While I was "gone", petiolaris sundews suddenly became inexpensive and accessible to the average grower. I want to be able to provide a good set up for them. I am planning on growing them in small, squat, plasitc terreriums (so that lights can be placed close to them). I need to bring my outdoor tropicals in for the winter, so I need to make a bid growlight purchase. What type/brand/combination of growlights should I buy for growing petiolaris dews (as well as other rosetted sundews and mexican pings). A lot of growers seem to have great luck with petiolaris complex sundews. Is there a "magic combination" when it comes to growlight set-up and distance from lights? My house gets warm in the summer but is a rather consant 68 in the winter. What sort of heating device should I get to keep the plants from sulking all winter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umm well a aqurium heater in a glass jar maybe and for lighting maybe 2 lamp sockets with a cord using warm lights produces alot of heat.
    Taking shelfs then wairing light sockets would work nicely if you kept the closet warm and humid

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also in the process of setting up a Petiolaris Complex home. My wife bought me fluoresecnt fixtures that accommodates two Grolites apiece. We'll see how that works. I bought a submercible heater and plan to either have it reside in the "tray" that the plants are in or in a large Prego spaghetti sauce jar of water. Many folks use fishtanks that are semi-enclosed, to promote humidity. Perhaps RL... or pingman or Chuck or Travis or... will see this topic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am seriously considering a 10 gallon setup for 2 easy wolly dews.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My set ups is in 20 gal long aquarium on its side. I use about 76 watts of cfl's. The plants are raised on pots to be about 5 inches from the lights (through glass). In the summer, it will regulary reach over 110 degrees in the tank as the west sun hits the tank. In the winter, i use a heating cable to keep the tank bout 80 degrees.
    Last winter almost all of the group went dormant.

Here are pics of my set up with winter heat cable:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicat...879327/detail/

Peter
    Please check my website for photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been considering petiolaris too. They went dormant in the winter? Don't you mean the summer? I'm planning on using a 10 gallon on a south facing sill, with growlights, sphagnum on the bottom, and a reptile heating rock buried in the sphagnum to make it nice and warm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, petiolaris group typicially go dormant in the winter. Tuberous drosera go dormant in the summer.
    Peter
    Please check my website for photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyine have a picture of a petiolaris plant going dormant? I'm wondering if my paradoxa is doing so. There are several new leaves standing straight up, like a fist, with no indication of branching out and opening. Below them are the older leaves, nice and dewy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast