Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Usefulness of shower curtains

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usefulness of shower curtains

I was wondering if vinyl shower curtains (on like a grow shelf thing) have produced any noticeable change in growth or growth habit for more tropical plants, like Nepenthes? When my neps were smaller, I had them in warm, humid terrariums, and their pitchers lasted much longer. But now, they tend to dry up and die faster than before, and I figure this may have something to do with humidity. Are they worth trying out?

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting that you post this... I was just talking to my partner tonight about the exact same thing. I've got a growshelf that's got mylar on three sides of it. I'm thinking about putting mylar on the front as well and putting shower curtains all the way around it to see if it helps raise the humidity in the shelf. I'd like to see other people's feedback on this as well.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Back when I grew on racks... I wrapped mine in plastic once.. and had it closed with clothes pins... Not a shower curtain, but same thing bottom line, I had a problem with heat then... But i had 4 shelfs with 3 shop light fixtures (6bulbs) per shelf in there.

Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My growrack is working fine with vinyl shower curtains. I don't have a problem with heat, I have a 4" fan on a timer, exhausting heat thru side ports.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=108367
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andrew,

That's exactly what I'm worried about, too much heat. I've got one of those 4' metal racks (I think it has 5 shelves) with 8 HO T5's on the top shelf, and the other shelves have 3 dual tube T12's on each shelf. Those T5's generate A LOT of heat!

I bought a cool air humidifier that has a fan on it that generates a lot of air movement. I'm wondering how well that would control heat build up? Guess I'll never know 'til I try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I built myself a whole in-door greenhouse with 1x3's and shower cutains. Where else can you get a 6 x 4 x 6 foot greenhouse for $35?

Works great!
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea of using shower curtains occured to me, but yeah, I figured there would be too much heat because of the greenhouse effect. And airflow would also be somewhat limited, the air might become stagnant, all the usual problems I had with the terrarium. On the other hand, humidity would be boosted a ton, I could cool it down at night more easily via some kind of cool mist humidifier, and all in all it would be good for the highlanders. It's something to consider...

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just add a fan. I've got a fan running all the time in my terrarium. It's very fresh and smells like this earthy, fresh living smell. You'd just need a larger fan than the one I use for your application One of those oscillating fans would be sweet.

Here you can see how my fan is pointed toward the water in the bottom. It increases humidity, and the breeze is enough to make the D. indica leaves move gently in the wind all day. There are two 1-inch by 18-inch gaps between the sheets of acrylic I cover it with (not shown) and that eliminates any heat buildup . 36 sq. inches open out of a total of 1350 sq. inches (the opening of the aquarium). If I close it, the temp rises 3 degrees for day and night compared to what it normally would have been, and the top fogs up and blocks some light. Even with the fan on, that is. Air holes are good!

I do have a bit of benign mold that won't leave the nectar on my N. clipeata x (clipeata x eymae) alone. It's harmless and not really noticeable unless you really look. It's so close to the fan, though , you'd think it wouldn't be there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast