electric rates (2007 US gov data)

depending on where you live, this may or may not help ya

Av,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I get power for 7 cents per killo watt ,
    For my 55 gallon tank since it is going to be for drosera and other things(I am going media on the bottom with sloping for corkscrews and urtics) I may do a compact 250 watt warm metal halide setup not sure though may use powerfull 150 watt cfls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, thinking I might not do the whole shower enclosure thing after all. I'm 15 and when I go to college and get a house... carrying around a shower stall would be weird. And if I can change my mind that fast, I figure I should try something a bit more portable than a shower Maybe something to try later on...
    Instead, I'm going to try my luck at petiolaris complex dews. I have a 30 gallon terrarium that I could lay on its side, and hook up with one of those 20,000 lumen 4 foot T5 light fixtures that guy has on his eBay store. Then, I could add a reptile heating cable, put a false bottom of eggcrate for the pots to sit on, maybe put in some sphagnum for the natural look, and throw in da plants, namely petiolaris hybrids and some lowland neps like amps. A bit more portable than a shower, but gives me something to do this summer Any feedback?
    This isn't all relevant to the original topic, though. Everyone else who's benefited from this thread can use it to ask questions about lighting, or whatever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepfreak View Post
    OK, thinking I might not do the whole shower enclosure thing after all. I'm 15 and when I go to college and get a house... carrying around a shower stall would be weird.
    So? People will just think you're some Doctor who nerd!http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image..._dr_who_01.jpg
    Mabye you'll get lucky and go to a college with a greenhouse! Good luck with the ol' Petiolaris.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, everyone already knows me as a plant freak anyway... maybe I should stop having fits of excitement about Nepenthes rajah during geometry.
    Well, just one more question... I think. Will 10,000 lumens serve to light up a 17 inch deep, three foot long, and 12-ish inch high terrarium? I was thinking of purchasing the light that thbjr included in one of his links. Would that work for a few woolies, or will I need something stronger? I can put them very close to the light. Thanks for all the help, guys.

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap thbjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that light would do fine for the set-up you discribed. Here, http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq6010c.html, Barry Rice discribes building a terrarium and if I remember right, he uses 2, 4" shop light on a 65 gallon aquarium. 4', 40W T12 bulbs have around 3000 lumens, if my memory is working. That would be around 4x3000=12.000 lumens for a grow area a foot longer than yours. So, judging by that, you'll have plenty of light for your grow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepfreak View Post
    Instead, I'm going to try my luck at petiolaris complex dews. I have a 30 gallon terrarium that I could lay on its side, and hook up with one of those 20,000 lumen 4 foot T5 light fixtures that guy has on his eBay store. Then, I could add a reptile heating cable, put a false bottom of eggcrate for the pots to sit on, maybe put in some sphagnum for the natural look, and throw in da plants, namely petiolaris hybrids and some lowland neps like amps.

Hmmmm...... This set-up sounds oddly familiar.... LOL
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha! I just dug through a few of your threads and found your terrarium thread, and it's exactly the same!
    I might be able to save a bit of cash by just doing what Mr. Rice does and buying cheap flourescents of the right color temperature. I'll go see what the hardware store has, and pay close attention to the "terrarium lighting 101" thread (thanks to whoever started that, it's extremely helpful!)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123