Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: metal halides

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

metal halides

This summer, I'll be working on a new setup for my highland Nepenthes, and I'll need a light that will provide enough light at a distance of four feet. I was thinking a 400W metal halide, would that work? I'm a bit confused about the different kinds of fixtures. There are flood light fixtures, wall fixtures, and all of these other weird fixtures. What's the best kind for CPs? Also, how much would this end up costing me? So many questions! Sorry if this has been answered before, I did run a search but didn't get much
    Thanks,
    Ben

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could probably use a flood light... but for about the same price I'd get a horticultural one if I were you. 400 watts is fine for a 4 x 4 area. Maybe even a 6 x 6 area, as I've never used one more than 250 watts (which I use for a four foot area just fine.)

This is a good, cheap one starting at like... 270 IIRC. Look around the site. There are also compact models with the ballast in the casing. They are fine if you can accommodate the heat.
    http://homeharvest.com/hydrofarmSuperGrowProVBMH.htm

I wasn't paying attention to that link above, but if you have a choice between magnetic and electronic, get electronic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow... that sounds pretty sweet. I have a 600 watt HPS (high pressure sodium) which I can buy a conversion bulb for (for metal halide). I have been wondering how I might use this to grow my CPs, but it seems like the heat would be outta control... But if I can cover as much area as it sounds like I can, maybe I should try it out. Any thoughts? Sorry for asking in this thread, I just thought it seemed related.
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Add a fan or two if you can. Put it in an area (like a basement) that's big and can let the heat spread out (and basements are naturally cooler anyway), and figure out a way to remove the ballast from the casing and put it farther away from the terrarium. Can't help you with that, I'm not into tearing things apart but I'm sure it's not that hard. An electrician could probably do it, no problem.

Or just use it to grow lowlanders who don't mind the heat.

I like the Ushio brand HPS to MH conversion lamps. Out of all of the 250 watt lamps I looked at, Ushio made the highest Kelvin rating (conversion lamps aren't usually as blue as true MH) I could find. It's... I want to say 5,500K

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reflector I have has holes for using aluminum ventilation tubes (ducting tubes), and the ballast is completely separate. I don't have a basement though =/ (San Diego homes I guess). What Kelvin rating am I looking for in a conversion bulb? I can't recall the optimum CRI for Nepenthes. (I would use the search function but I know ppl have different preferences.)
    - Daniel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try and get one around 6,500 K If you can find it. Conversion lamps just don't get very "high" K temperatures unfortunately. Anything around there is good, up to 10,000 K tops but you're not going to find that in a conversion lamp (I promise!) Don't worry too much about the CRI. That just measures how close it looks to natural sunlight

Here's a good graph to use at a glance when buying your light. And BTW, I looked up my lamp (just for you!) and it was 5,200K and 85 CRI. You know what that looks like from my pics.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...emperature.svg

I looked on Ebay for you (that's where I got mine with no problems) and This is the highest K. temp 600 watt conversion lamp I could find. However, it's about 30 dollars cheaper than the others so It's up to you. It could be fine, or it could be crap. I did a google search and all of the pot forums (all that came up lmao) didn't have much to say about them (good OR bad) but one said they thought it was a "Generic" bulb. Someone said it might not last as long. Up to you. I've always heard to not buy the cheap lamps because you get what you pay for, but this might be cheap since it's surplus or something. I've done enough research for you, now it's your turn lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/GrowBright-600-w...QQcmdZViewItem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would something like this work at all?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/USED-High-Bay-40...QQcmdZViewItem

Don't eat me,... Mr. Flytrap thbjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If heat will be a problem, and in my experiance it always was, you may want to concider the new T5 fluorscents. I found this one on Ebay and the shipping was a tad less at his website. http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct...roductID=51907 or http://cgi.ebay.com/Compact-T5-FLUOR...QQcmdZViewItem. It's the right spectrum at 6400K and at 10,000 lumens that you can put inches rather than 4100K, 38,000 lumens Metal Halide several feet from the plants, you'll get equal or better growth and without the heat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast