What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great Stuff foam

Has anyone had experience using this stuff? (It's Door/Window insulation foam) It's mostly used for backgrounds but I've seen it used on the floor of vivariums before. I was gunna spray it about 6 inches deep and use a hole saw to cut out holes for potted plants. Then put like a 1 inch hole through to the bottom of those holes to allow moisture from the false bottom to rise. After that I was gunna lay out the rest of my decor and throw an inch or 2 of peat to allow moss and ferns grow throughout the entire tank. Does this sound crazy?

I've used it numerous times for various things, and I strong advise against using it for anything but pipe insulation. Part of the problem I've noticed is that the foam isn't even - you wind up with a surface layer of foam and a large void on the interior. It's not too expensive, so you can try it on a fake setup if you want (try it on a scrap of cardboard before you try it on your aquarium).

One BIG note: do NOT touch the foam with your bare skin or anything you won't throw away. It just plain does not come off. In fact, one of my prior experiences with it in which a friend got it all over her hands has resulting in a local punk-rock band writing a song about me and my chemical efforts to remove it (the song will be called "It Won't Come Off"). Seriously, it took her a week to get it all off.

Mokele

I am for it, its an awesome product and really helps seal in cracks and nooks. It really air help keep lots of cold air out of my greenhouse and has still kept up to its $5 a bottle investment for around 7 years now.

As for the vivarium deal are you sure you haven't seen floral foam used? Or even hydroponic foam used? I don't think I'd use this for a planting setup but for sealing up things structurally its great. Its also petroleum based propellants so i don't think itd be a good idea for the plants being some of those could still harbor themselves in the cured foam, I do know its really flammable with gooey still. ;)

Back