Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bog Garden

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MrFlyTrap2, yes, that's exactly what we did!

Slurm, thanks for the information because this will help me decide what to plant in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can plant Flytraps and short Sundews in with the Sarracenia you just have to put them in the front of the bog that is facing south so they can get light that way. The same goes for Psitts and Purps. One kinda funny thing happened this year. I have every species of Sarracenia except for Purp Montana which I think I will have this coming spring and lots of hybrids. I have grown S. Oreophila for years with no ill effects until this year, which was the warmest and driest on record and I lost all of my Oreophilas this year. I think that it was just too hot for them. Nothing else suffered from the heat though.
    I don't want EVERY Sarracenia, just everyone that I see!!
    Growlist/Wantlist Updated 2/23/12:http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103039

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you grow D. rotundifolia? I have tried to grow it in Atlanta with no sucess. It was over 100f for 2 solid weeks here this summer. None of my sarrs showed any ill effects, although I lost a few recently planted VFT seedlings. I want to try temperate/boreal pings, but I have heard that no grower has been sucessful with them in Georgia. I kept a P. grandiflora for a year growing it in a highland nep terrarium in the summer and putting it in the fridge for the winter. It died when I planted it outside in the bog garden in april.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do grow D. Rotundifolia. I have for about 4 years now but they came from John Hummer who lives in Richmond so I am sure they are not the west coast ones. They are one of my favorite dews. As for Pings, I grow P. Caerulea, P. Lutea, P. Planifolia and P. Primuliflora with no problems.
    Growlist/Wantlist Updated 2/23/12:http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103039

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I meant the cold temperate hibernauculum foruming pinguicula species, like P. vulgaris, grandiflora, macroceras etc.

Still, congrats on keeping P. lutea and P. planifolia long term outside, they are fairly difficult, probably even more difficult for you since you are north of me. How did you keep the P. planifolia alive through the drought? I have seen them in the wild in florida, and they always grow as semi-aquatics. All the plants I saw were under 1-3 inches of water, dark burgundy, and 10 inches or larger in diameter! Warm temperate pings don't seem to require a cool winter at all. Most growers I have met have greater sucess with them under lights or in greenhouses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a reverse osmosis system that feeds a barrel that I have outside. I put a "T" connector with a shut off valve on the hose that goes into the barrel and ran a hose off of it so I can run water directly on the bogs. Hope that wasn't too confusing. For most of this season I had to run water 24/7 and just switch the hose from bog to bog. I have 5 bogs so 24 hours on one and then move it to another. By the time I got the 5th one watered it was time to put it on the first again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slurm, which species have you found do best outside (year-round) in the Piedmont here in GA?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome bog garden!!! Is the 4mm plastic UV - treated? I love it!! I'm inspired to start one now too!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast