Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New light

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replacement fixture arrived a few days ago (pristine condition) and my bulbs arrived today... finally decided on the GE starcoat 6500k and 3000k, seems like a good balance to me and they are getting good reviews in the planted aquarium world.

3000k spectra:

6500K spectra:

The light itself is very intense lumen wise and the reflectors are outstanding... just looking at the light its hard to tell that the bulbs are only 0.625" Diam.

On the downside, radiant heat is definitely a concern to me... somewhat worried about how the helis are going to react, I've moved them further away till I see how things progress

Cheers'
    Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might have mentioned it, but where did you get the light fixture and how much $?
    I don't want EVERY Sarracenia, just everyone that I see!!
    Growlist/Wantlist Updated 2/23/12:http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103039

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bucky,

$129USD plus shipping, no bulbs and no cord

http://www.contractorlighting.com/hi...badffb7a2e7158

I'm very pleased with the light
    Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you buy your bulbs from a hardware store or order them? If so, where? I really like your setup!
    I don't want EVERY Sarracenia, just everyone that I see!!
    Growlist/Wantlist Updated 2/23/12:http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103039

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheapest price I found for them was diyreef.com... but if youre close to a Nasville/Knox...etc you should be able to find them locally... Im small town america (E. Ky)

and the fixture source also offers bulbs which would prob do fine, there is a lot of debate on the subject... I wanted something that had a proven plant growth track record though

bulb life is approx 2 yrs with about a +90% lumen maintenance..., these dont weaken with age much at all

http://geocities.com/butchtincher/t5..._t5_linear.pdf

Av
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 01-09-2008 at 12:02 PM. Reason: add link

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So AV do they need to be hard wired or just a cord made with a 14 or 16 gauge extension cord or something? I am going to be looking into these when I move after school. I am going to use these and the older T8 fixtures to grow my plants in basement grow room in MN. So trying to get as much info as possible so I can start formulating a plan. Thanks!!
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Josh,

long time no see...

I just used a cord from an old computer with a couple wire nuts.... if you want to be more professional a 1/2" romex adapter would be a nice touch, I just didnt have one handy and couldnt wait

its only 234 watts, just about any cord will handle the load... be sure to use the ground wire of course

MN ey.... you old hound dog

Av

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah AV the first semester of nursing school was a bear. Not that it was hard or anything just a lot of work.

Thanks for the info on the lights. I might be asking you where you got it again when i start setting up my grow room. My GF just got her papers filed,They waited till the first of the year for tax purposes, and is looking to buy a townhome from her dad. Has a full basement and she has alloted some space for a grow room. So I just need to finish the walls and put up some plastic over the sheet rock to water proof it and then I can start setting up racks and shipping plants there. So this info is good. I hope to find some 4 light T8 fixtures for a good price too. I can get 2 bulb fixtures for 17 bucks at lowes, but I like the 4 light fixtures so we will see when the time comes to getting it set up.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast