Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Some Terrarium Q's, Subtropical Greenhouse-style

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some Terrarium Q's, Subtropical Greenhouse-style

Ive aquired a 30 gallon tank (L35" W14" H12") and have been inspired by the subtropical terrarium in 'the savage garden' p42. I would like to grow mostly subtropical sundews, mexican subtropical/temperate pings and subtropical terrestrial utrics. They would be grown in individual saucers, and I will be fitting mylar to all sides.

Q1. I have a b&q nearby that sell these and was planning on using four of them on two dual tube T8 light fixtures (possibly using 3 cool and 1 warm white). Will this lighting suffice? And are these lights T8, as I couldnt see it written anywhere?

Q2. The tank currently has no lid on top. I was thinking of turning it on its side so I could lay the lights over one of the glass side walls (possibly also on a little wood to reduce heat conduction). Does this make sense? This would also alow me to create and attach a reflective flap on the now open side so I can easily access the plants and have more light relection when the tank is not being viewed. Good/bad idea?

Q3. Does everyone reconnect the ballasts in their light fixture as shown here? It seems complicated, but if it is neccessary then I will find someone who knows more about electrics than me.

Q4. Is it likely I will need a fan for air circulation?

Ive done tonnes of research now on terraria and am just after some clarification. Thanks for reading, it is much appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gypsy -

That should be plenty of light, I've had good results growing with 4 t12s in a 55 gal tank.
    After reading this I would definitely recommend the t8s though. The light drop off over time is much reduced and they are also more energy efficient.

http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/nlpi...s/lat5/pc9.asp

I've never reconnected my ballasts and experience only a 5F increase in tank temps when the lights come on.

It's really a balancing act between air temp and circulation and humidity. I grew without a fan with fine results for years by providing plenty of ventilation. It's a trial and error process. I eventually bought a 115vac cooling fan from radio shack and am now experimenting with that, it does help distribute heat around the tank and dissipate condensation but like I said may not be necessary.

Another essential is a decent thermometer/hygrometer. I wouldn't waste my money on the super cheap ones. I think it's worth investing around 20 on a decent reliable unit. Once again Radio shack came through for me.

have fun, sounds like a good start.
    nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info.

I guess a fan may turn out to be neccessary, especially if I turn the tank on its side and attach an extra reflective wall, as this will make the tank enclosed with next to no ventilation. I will purchase a temp/hydro gauge aswell as a timer. I guess ill have to go for it and set it all up, then check the temp/hydro/light figures to see if it will be ok to start putting plants in.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to welcome you to this side of the Pond.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to welcome you to this side of the Pond.
    Thanks Jim. I feel a little rude not formally introducing myself. However, I only grow a handfull of venus fly traps, capensis and binata at the moment. Was hoping to expand my collection before I introduced myself (hopefully with some nice photographs aswell)...of the plants, not me. All the CP forums have been a great wealth of knowledge and interest thus far.