The Europeans make really nice terrariums.
I care nothing for aesthetics.
My gods are Frugality, Miserness, and Spendthrift.
My number one concern is cost, which is why I embarked on attempting to build a cheap yet sufficiently large chamber. My old one was way too small and crappy. It was basically disintegrating.
Here's my parts list:
Snap Clamps: 9 x $1.19 + $6.55 (shipping) = $21.07
3-way elbow fittings: 8 x $2.83 + $8.67 (shipping) = $31.31
1.5" x 10' PVC pipe: 8 x $4.29 = $34.32
Duct tape: free (had it laying around) = $0
Plastic sheeting: ~$8 for a small 4 mil roll = $8
(I covered most of it in a large roll of 6 mil sheeting I had laying around since I paint houses. The 4 mil was just to fill the little gaps I had.)
Light fixtures: ~$8 x 2 (3/5 I already had) = $16
Bulbs: ~$7 x 2 = $14
(The 3 fixtures I had already had bulbs)
Small fan: free (already had it) = $0
Humidifier: $30 x 1 = $30
Shelving: $50 x 1 = $50
(originally I planned on making one out of these: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...361&lpage=none and cinder blocks. Doing that, you can make a 6' x 1' shelf 3 tiers high for about $30. This wasn't stable enough for me, since I am building this on carpet. Put 2 cinder blocks on the ends, then 1 in the middle, and stack the wire racks. I decided to buy a cheap shelf instead).
Twine: free = $0
Total: = $204.70
For a grow area that's 7' h x 3' w x 7' long...that ain't bad.
1.5" pipe is the way to go. Though smaller diameter pipes and fittings would save money, I do not recommended them for something of this size. The structure is very sturdy as well. I punched it to test it out, and it barely and briefly shook. Passed my test.
I'm going to add a few more lights and maybe a heater soon, but this is how everything is ATM.
I had some pics of the very beginning, as I was planning on doing an entire build, but they kind of looked bad. Plus, it's a box made of PVC and fittings. If you can't figure out how to replicate this from the photos, we're all in lots of trouble.
As I said, the dimensions are: 7' h x 3' d x 7' w
I'm using this 6' h x 2' d x 3' w shelving unit I got for a paltry $50 at Home Depot. If you're looking for shelving, I highly recommend this. It's made of high impact resin and can hold 1000lbs (evenly distributed weight, i.e. 200lbs per shelf):
My new tank+stand that I put in there. I'm too lazy to cut the mylar (really an emergency blanket lol), so I just drape it over:
There's 2 kinds of location data ampullaria seeds, and raff seeds with location data in there.
As you may or may not know via this thread (Bad news (for me)) my collection is in shambles. Hopefully the higher humidity and the soaking I gave everything will make all perk up and at least not die, but who knows. Anyway, here's about the only 2 things looking decent ATM:
chaniana x veitchii:
splendiana x rokko:
I've still got some kinks to work out, like the fact that the light in the tank doesn't come on when the timer clicks on, even though the other 4 lights connected to the same exact timer do. However, it does work when I click it off, then on manually. I'll try to clean it with coke and/or CLR to get some of the corrosion off, and if it still doesn't work, I may have to break down and buy a new light fixture deal, though I'd realllllly rather not.
Btw, my old enclosure:
Is now inside my new one, without the crap plastic on top of it. It is currently empty, but tomorrow I'll probably go and get 2 new fixtures to hang on it, since I am expecting a new shipment next week, and have 0 room already. I ran out of space so fast because I'm trying to let the new plants not touch each other so they'll get more air movement etc. In my old setup, I had pots literally inside/on top of other pots, which didn't do so hot.