Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My terrarium idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the only sarrs you grow are Purpurea...your setup will do just fine. They don't need dormancy.

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    umm...really? i didn't know that!

You may have better luck with nepenthes, heliamphoras, and other tropicals. I believe our resident forum founder has some neps.
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Peter D'Amato grows a giant one in one of his terrariums. The pitchers never die if
    the plant doesn't go dormant. If you ever have a chance to visit the San Diego Zoo, you
    can see a pretty nice sized plant there. But the rest of their plants are disappointing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefforever View Post
    If the only sarrs you grow are Purpurea...your setup will do just fine. They don't need dormancy.
    Quote Originally Posted by obregon562 View Post
    umm...really? i didn't know that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefforever View Post
    Yeah, Peter D'Amato grows a giant one in one of his terrariums. The pitchers never die if the plant doesn't go dormant.
    I knew that this was not true..(that S. purpurea does not need dormancy)
    but before I simply replied with "thats not true" I thought I would go right to the source!
    because people might not believe me..
    but maybe they will believe Peter?

So I sent off an email to Peter D'Amato:

Hello Peter,
    my name is Scot Lawrence, from Rochester NY.

a post was just made on one of the CP discussion forums, that claims Sarracenia purpurea does NOT need a winter dormancy..and the proof for this statement is said to be..you!

the poster claims that you have been growing a large S. purpurea in a terrarium, for many years, *without* the plant receiving a winter dormancy!
    and the plant does not die without a winter dormancy every year.

I am certain this is untrue, and the poster is probably confusing his plants..
    it is most likely some other plant in the terrarium.
    but before I post a reply, I thought it would make sense to go directly to the source to check the facts!

so do you have any comments about this supposed sleepless purpurea?

thanks,
    Scot

Reply from Peter D'Amato:

Hey Scott: I don't participate in many CP forums, so thanks for letting me know of this poster's statement. He states I grow S. purpurea in terrariums year round without a dormancy. Of course this is completely untrue. While even northern S. purpureas retain their leaves in feezes and snow, some people may mistaken believe they are not "dormant", when of course they are and don't produce new pitchers during this rest period. My book The Savage Garden clearly discusses the problems of having temperate plants in terrariums that don't get cold in winter, and lists suggested plants to grow in a variety of indoor and terrarium locations. It would be great if you posted my message on the forum. You can quote me. Thanks again, Scot! Peter D'Amato at California Carnivores.

As the Emperor Joseph, the Musical King would say: "well..there it is"

(I just saw "amadeus" on tv the other day!) great movie..

So perhaps Jeff thought the plant was not dormant because it didnt LOOK dormant?
    maybe..
    but regardless of how it looks, it is still dormant every winter.
    So it is completely untrue to say "They dont need dormancy"
    sorry..but all Sarracenia need a winter dormancy.

Sorry for being hard on you Jeff!
    you probably just heard it from someone else, who was wrong, and passed on something you believed to be true.
    but there is a lot of myth and misinformation in this hobby..especially around dormancy..
    and especially around "its fine to grow VFTs and Sarracenia in terrariums"..well..it isnt.

so I consider it necessary to stamp-out incorrect information whenever it is found..to try to keep these kinds of things from spreading.

Quote Originally Posted by B Rob View Post
    Way to ruin peoples dreams scotty!!!!

haha jk.

Aren't there tropical sars I could use? (I'm at a friends and savage gardens at my house)

yeah, sorry about ruining your dreams!
    but im just the messenger..I didnt make the rules!

and no, there is no such thing as a "tropical Sarr"
    all Sarracenia are native to North America, and all require a winter dormancy.

Nepenthes are "tropical" and do not require a winter dormancy..they are very different plants than Sarracenia and need very different conditions. Sarracenia and Nepenthes can not be grown together all year long..the Nepenthes will die if it gets too cold, and the Sarracenia will die if it doesnt get cold enough!

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm... thanks to everyone for all the replies... and not to sound ungrateful... but the rocks man... THE FREAKIN ROCKS!!

haha j/k ... but seriously, forget the plants for now, do you think I'll have any problems with the lava rocks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Rob View Post
    hmm... thanks to everyone for all the replies... and not to sound ungrateful... but the rocks man... THE FREAKIN ROCKS!!

haha j/k ... but seriously, forget the plants for now, do you think I'll have any problems with the lava rocks?
    I would not use lava rocks..
    what are they made of anyway??
    how "inert" are they?
    hold on..

(Scot heads over to Google)

ok, im back.

http://www.geoponicsinc.com/index_.php?where=menu_14

That page suggests Lava rocks are inert..

well..if you have REALLY pure and clean lava rocks, they would probably be fine for CP use..it doesnt sound like they will leach out any minerals.

personally, I wouldnt risk it...because you really have no way to know how "clean and pure" your particular rocks are..especially lava rocks sold for BBQ grills or something liek that...they could add nasty stuff to your "soil" as water passes over the rocks.

This page:
    http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-diet...pplements.aspx
    suggests that lava rock pieces can dissolve in a birds stomach: "If a bird swallows bits of lava rock, it will provide it with some trace minerals if they dissolve in the gastrointestinal tract such as iron, magnesium, potassium and sodium. "

dissolving lava rocks would be bad from a CP perspective.
    I cant really see them dissolving much though..

here is a discussion on lava rock from CPUK:
    http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/lofiv...hp/t22555.html

my opinion - probably fine, but its hard to be 100% confidant of that..
    I still wouldnt risk it.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Scott, you're a doll. If I can't find good pure lava rock I might just use aquarium gravel to dress the place up a bit. I would think that since it's for fish use, it shouldn't have any mineral content as it would change the ph of the water.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12