User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time making a minibog need a little help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time making a minibog need a little help.

I'm hoping on starting a mini bog out of a plastic pot and I don't really know if this is the correct way to go about this since it's my first time making one so far this is my plan.

I've bought a 12 1/4"- 31cm plastic pot and I'm hoping to put a few CP plants in it so far I have two typical VFT and hoping to get a few more to put in it like Drosera, Pitcher plants, and Akai Ryu VFT not too sure on what types of pitcher plants and drosera are good just yet still researching and looking around.

The media i'm thinking of doing is 50/50 Peat perlite and maybe some pine needles mixed with it either all of the media or maybe just the top layer and once I get all the plants I want in I'll probably put a layer of LFS on the top and in the winter I'll use the rest of the pine needles to mulch over and keep it outside for winter except on when it's in the 20s or 10s it'll go into the shed.

If the pot size I have is not big enough I could probably get a bigger one the store had a 15" one I'll just return the smaller one and get a bigger one also the pine needles are from my christmass tree it's a Balsim Fir, so I'm not sure if this kind is ok to use.

I'm going to get the sphagnum peat, and LFS this weekend to set it up for the VFT since they're still dormant or should I wait?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used larg plastic drained and undrained pots and have used glass/glazed ceramic pots too bigger the better. Peat perilite is greta but the perilite floats. Pine needles enver tried them but maybe a topping for estetics.
    Capensis,Binata,Rosseted drosera(lower non full sun light),smaller sarracenia ,all vfts(do not water log ) and so on like bladderworts and butterworts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bluebird, I don't think I would mix pine needles in the media. People generally use pine needles as insulation for their plants during dormancy. Whatever sundews you decide to go with, just make sure they're temperate. That way they'll have the same dormacy requirements as your vfts and Sarracenia. Mini bogs are fun to make. Here are some that I've done.

Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say 'Hey man, I love you this many dollars worth. -Michael Scott, The Office

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is that pure pat it looks really wet.
    I have a sterilite tub and I drilled holes in the side at the ideal water level so it doesnt flood and a pvc pipe in the bog to pour water in is a good idea aice it wont make perlite float.
    and dump water all over the top of the plants,that helps if you have dews in there etc.
    a 50/50 mix of pea tmoss and perlite is good.
    here's my bog I'm working on cant wait until its full of dews.

i should add some pvc like I suggested
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D_muscipula View Post
    is that pure pat it looks really wet.
    Nice Dew planting D muscipula. That picture was from last summer and was a mix of peat and sand. The temps outside were really hot so the water dried quickly. The water didn't drain to quickly though. The plants did okay but could've used more light (which I later moved them to a sunnier spot). I don't remember the exact mix I used, but maybe I lighten it up a bit for better drainage this upcoming growing season.
    Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say 'Hey man, I love you this many dollars worth. -Michael Scott, The Office

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heres mine last year... i think this year im going back to pots because it was tough to move around.

there are several sarrs. several dews(including a forest of D. burmanni) and even U. subulata!

as you can see with D. burmanni you can safely put tropicals(there is also D. capensis in there) out for the summer. youll have enough seeds for the next season if need be.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're going to plant Sarracenia, 12 inches is probably the smallest size container you want to use. Get a planter with a replaceable drain plug so you can flush out any mineral build up once in awhile. That way you will have to replace the media less often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the dews look way better they used to look like this

I ahd them on a S. window and then I put them under artificial light so they are looking a bit green.
    although now they are starting to color up gonna slowly move them outside during spring.

the dews are going to be a tropical bog why not have on of them
    a tropical drosera bog.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast