Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Bog Question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big Bog Question

Instead of growing everything in sepreate pots and all that I want to get one of those big bales and a big rubbermaid bin, dig and whole in the ground and put it there. Add a couple bags of perlite into it and be all good. Another option would be to get a some what smaller one so I could bring it inside by the back door where it gets cold but maybe 40's-50's. I want everything from flytraps to d. filiformis filiformis (maybe tracyii) to s. purpurea purpurea to d. rotundifolia and intermedia. Could they all work together? Does it need to be freezing cold for the purpurea and rotundifolia for them to good? I really would like to keep it in one bin if I could.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (general question to the group)

What is this obsession with Perlite lately?
    where did that come from?
    it sure seems to be getting a lot of "press" lately, in the CP world.
    are people actually planting CPs in pure perlite?
    if so..why??
    I must have missed something..

(to JMurphy)

yes, 40's-50's would be fine for dormancy..
    they dont NEED to freeze..
    IMO, a good dormancy temp is anywhere between 35 and 49.
    50's is borderline..
    and by the 60's, its getting a bit too warm..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just use perlite because when I didn't use it the peat moss became like a sponge and it looked bad. That's good because bigger is better for more protection and holds water better right? Plus they all look better together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I've been using perlite with my Sarrs, VFTs, temperate Drosera and other things that I grow outside year round as a 1:1 mix with peat rather than using a 1:1 mix of sand. The last two bags of sand I bought (one being play sand and the other being pool filter sand, each from two different manufacturers and from two different retail outlets and purchased about a year apart) both reacted with muriatic acid (the play sand much less reactive than the pool filter sand, but reactive nonetheless) so I didn't feel comfortable using them in a soil mix. I opted to go with perlite instead.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm fond of 2/1 sand/peat, just because I like my plants on the "dry" side. But to be honest, I've seen them growing in the wild in clay, in mucky sludge, in peat, in live LFS, and in practically pure sand, and I can't tell I can see a difference. They were all doing equally well. If you have very red plants, add a little extra peat (or peat tea) 2/1 sand/peat would be great if you're on a budget and have a BIG space to fill (I imagine wheel-barrow loads of perlite would add up in cost!)

Sand, perlite, peat, APS, LFS, .... it REALLY doesn't matter what you plant them in as long as it holds water. Andrew sent me a buttload of Dionaea this past spring and I just threw a bunch of crap I had laying around (sand, peat, LFS, bark, charcoal, Styrofoam peanuts, APS, Etc Etc) and they've all done great, as well as a few purps I stuck in there. It's quite literally a fruitcake of a mixture and they do great.

I love perlite. Retains water and is very free draining, but it's not important if you use it or not with something so EASY as Sarracenia. Sarracenia are really bomb proof and don't make much of a fuss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JMurphy, All of those plants will work fine together. I grow them all and they do good here and the temps here have gone down to 6 degrees this year. JLAP is right about the mix, I don't think that it matters too much as long as it holds some water and drains well. Different things work for different people. I use 50/50 peat and sand/perlite. Here are some pics of my bogs:

I don't want EVERY Sarracenia, just everyone that I see!!
    Growlist/Wantlist Updated 2/23/12:http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103039

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics bucky. How do you go about watering your bogs?
    Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say 'Hey man, I love you this many dollars worth. -Michael Scott, The Office

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a nutty bog If I ahd warmer weather and more cash and some more plants then i'd have something like that Wheres the drosera

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast