Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Indoor plant collection [56k warning]

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! thanks guys. Glad that you like the pics. I did have to take like a 100 shots overall and then select these from those. The reason being I needed to use as much light coming in from the lens as possible as I didn't want to use a flash. But that means the camera needs to be still. But most shots can be only made by hand as the stand isn't that adjustable. That means I needed to take like 15 shots to find maybe 1 that has no blurriness to it. But I guess the result is infact worth it in the end.

hmm....wow Av. thats looking fantastic. yeah...yours is on a roll. I guess I still need to figure this plant out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is one absolutely beautiful N. talangensis!!! Thatnks for showing. Much better than any I've ever grown. But now you've got me all worked up. I'll start experimenting with conditions to see where it's going wrong. Strange since other species right next to our N. talangensis pitcer perfectly well, including N. talangenisis hybrids but not the N. talangensis themselves. We've got many clones from seeds, so it's not a genetic trait peculiar to our plants, so we're just plain doing somethiing not quite right...
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah Rob! Andreas has a truly amazing plant collection himself. Yeah! fantastic talangs being grown by himself and Butch over here. All I can understand is that my light conditions are still low and maybe the temps aren't as constant as the ones that Butch has.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Vraev..
    Congrats mate..

Just dropped by to see your plants!

Party time for the rajah at last? i'll have a pint for you mate!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how I missed this topic...

Anyway, Vraev....how in the world do you live almost 2000k miles north of me, but your bical looks better than mine? I've never been able to grow bical, and I have no clue why, even though all my other lowlanders are having themselves a party.

In regards to talangensis, I've heard/seen quite a few times that it seems to pitcher in flushes. Perhaps this is related to some sort of nutrient deficiency. When I had mine, it made one pitcher, then I started fertilizing, the pitcher died pretty quickly, and it didn't pitcher for the next 8 or something months (I then traded it away). Perhaps the plant has to dip below a certain threshold in regards to a nutrient or suite of nutrients before it will pitcher. I think that would explain why it blows up so many at once/so rapidly in succession. If I had one again, I'd put it in the brightest light possible, not fertilize it, and pot it in the most nutrient absent inorganic substrate possible (like...broken glass and/or styrofoam pieces). As V said, I'm sure constant temps lend a huge helping hand. If you've got a plant you can sacrifice, go for it and let everyone know how it turns out. I'd try it myself, but my temps are about 30 degrees to high to grow that thing successfully.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THanks for dropping by wasted. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions with the king. I am glad the plant finally came through for me. Yup mate! party time. I actually went out with friends and had dinner....but lol....it served 2 purposes as the plant surprised me on my birthday.

Thanks for the compliments pk! THe bical is probably along with the ramispina, the easiest plants in my small 5 nep collection. [mira can join those ranks as well]. It never gave me any problems in growing and pitchering. I would also assume that at your temp and conditions...this plant should be thriving. However, there is one condition that I can fault in your offering: HUMIDITY. However, your new setup should be wicked for it. My bical never gets below 60% humidity at any time. I would suggest bumping up the humidity a bit. The thing is this is all without any air circulation in a snese. I have some fans wired up and ready...I just need to put them in. However, I have read that bical does not really appreciate air movement too much as it likes swampy and stangnant conditions.

yeah! I also heard that thing about talang that it pitchers in waves. But see the ones on AV's plant. It keeps pitchering with every leaf. Certainly something is wrong in what i am doing. I know light is a certain factor...but I have no room...no resources and its unreasonable to get anything more for this crappy enclousure...so I am saving up for a new one.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Varun,

I found this in some of my Heli research papers... it may offer a clue about your talan. With the smaller leaves of the talangensis maybe this factor becomes even more critical.

It is clear, for all Heliamphora species studied, that
    the carnivorous characteristics are diminished in the
    shade. This phenomenon was predicted by Givnish
    et al. (1984) who hypothesized that the carnivorous
    habit in plants has evolved in nutrient poor habitats
    to improve photosynthetic efficiency. Photosynthetic
    efficiency in micro-habitats with low light intensity
    is limited by light, and improvement of this efficiency
    by carnivory does not balance the costs involved in
    producing devices for attraction, trapping and digestion
    of arthropods (Gulmon & Chu, 1981;
    Givnish et al., 1984). The availability of nutrients is
    thus limiting in fast-growing plants and, in the
    shade, the growth of Heliamphora is not limited by
    nutrients but by light.

HTH's
    Av

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm......lighting is the fault eh?? hmm......I guess I need to force myself for another 2 foot fixture. sheesh! I don't want to get any more supplies for this setup. I really need to renovate.

EDIT: Added another bical pic to the pics on top.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast