Thread: Indoor plant collection [56k warning]

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Indoor plant collection [56k warning]

Hi guys,

I know its been quite a while since I did a photo shoot update of my plants. I have been telling myself that I will not post any pics until either my talangensis pitchers or my rajah pitchers. Well only one of those has happened, so here it is. Hope you enjoy them
    TYPICAL FLYTRAPS

DROSERA x LAKEBADGERUP

CEPHALOTUS FOLLICULARIS

Note: All thanks to my buddy Av8tor1 [Butch] for the help in growing my ceph to what it is today.
    DARlINGTONIA CALIfORNICA | NEPENTHES BICALCARATA

NEPENTHES MIRA | NEPENTHES RAMISPINA

Note: That ramispina small pitcher is dead and was fine for 8 months. Look at the size improvement.

And now:

NEPENTHES RAJAH

Note: Thanks very very very much to Robert Cantley for providing the plant as well as vital feedback and help which helped me cross the barrier. After 8 months...finally!! Also thanks to David Wong for the help and feedback that he provided in helping me with this baby.

thanks for watching,

Varun

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG!!! THE DAY HAS COME!!!

great job dude! its all uphill from here!!

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why is it uphill from here? lol

thanx,

V

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great pics. your pygmies look great. Where did you get that bicalcarata? I can't seem to find that plant ANYWHERE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uphill because you finally past probably the biggest obstacle for N. rajah. keep the condiditions the same and it wont stop pitchering!

what did you change as far as conditions go?

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nothing changed actually. Rob and many other rajah growers whom I talked to told me to just be patient and wait for the plant to settle in. As they said...it has taken 8 months (2 months of acclaimatisation + 6 months) to make this pitcher. However, currently the plant is facing a nutrition deficiency as its fading away a few leaves as it makes this pitcher. Its basically recycling the nutrients. I am waiting for it to finish opening so that I can feed the baby.

@Cplantaholic,

Thanks! The bical was from a local friend in canada [David Wong]. I bought it from him around may last yr. The same time when I got the rajah and ramispina.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing colours in those photos Varun! Congrats on the N. rajah pitcher at last. After you feed the pitcher you will be able to eliminate nutrient deficinecy as a cause if you continue to have problems, but I really think you've got the problem cracked.

I was going to e-mail you about N. talangensis and then decided to post it here instead as it might be interesting to other growers.

After you mentioned the difficulties you are having getting N. talangensis to pitcher I checked the stock area in our highland nursery. There are many healthy plants there which are flowering and setting seed and all sorts but very few pitchers on the larger plants. On juvenile plants, many pitchers but as they get larger, there is usually only a single good pitcher or often none at all. I hadn't noticed this before (we usually ship relatively small plants with many pitchers) and wonder if we're both doing the same thing wrong or it's a characteristic of the species as it matures.

I have s low internet connection where I am right now and no access to photos of wild plants on this machine to check to see if the same thing occurs in habitat. The plants we have remind me of N. sibuyanensis, with healthy leathery tough leaves and tendrils that look as if they are still thinking of producing pitchers but the last pitcher is about 6-10 leaves ago.

I didn't have a camera with me when I was in that nursery but will take some photos when I go back there next week.

So, just maybe, you aren't doing anything wrong, or maybe we're both doing the same thing wrong I wonder what others' experiences are?
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stunning pics Varun,

Man, what a change since last fall... your plants are looking excellent, very well done mate!!

The pics are beautiful, great color and sharpness... what camera did you use?

Outstanding V..
    Av

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast