Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New LGM-5 plant light (LED)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New LGM-5 plant light (LED)

I was asked and volunteered to evaluate a new LED plant light. It is the Grow Master LGM-5, the company's newest model.

Well it arrived today, of course the first thing I noticed was the addition of a few yellow LED's and one green LED to each of the 5 clusters (notice in the second pic that the center is white). My spectroscope doesn't like the small concentrated energy source so I will have to modify it a little to get a clear reading of specific wavelengths. Initially it appears to have broad spectral performance in all the desired ranges with *most of the energy in the red and blue portions (*going by number of LED's)

It definitely hurts to look directly at it, listen to the caution notes and don't do it LOL...trust me it will give ya a headache

I'm not sure yet of how exactly I am going to test the performance... the light only arrived today,

but I will keep ya posted

The advertised foot print is 1' by 2' and the recommended distance above the plant is 18"-28"

(FYI, the lights were still on in the room when the second pic was taken, my point and click camera tried to correct for the brightness LOL)

this is going to be fun, and thanks to DaveS for asking me to evaluate their newest model, I am deeply honored

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dude I want to volunteer I will try it on multiple species of plants.
    I'd try a flytrap under it if they want me to but I want one thats pretty sweet and I heard led is great for plants.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic. I just wish you'd be able to see the good color your plants should obtain under them! Also, 18-28 inches seems so high...

I'm convinced LED lighting is the future, and it'll only get better. Maybe when I'm out of college they'll be advanced and affordable enough to justify buying a few strips of my own!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats the wattage of that thing ??

I highly doubt you will be very successful though I am happy to be proved wrong

The above comment comes from experience and not thrown out to get a reaction

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joel,

I will be the first to admit I am going to be a hard sell, but to be honest initially I'm pretty impressed.

Ive been reading the research data being developed by NASA for use in the international space station.

Basically, in addition to PAR and PUR requirements you want at least 15% blue to prevent intumesecence and encourage a proper stomatal cycle, just a little green to ensure canopy penetration and enough far red for proper structural development (internode spacing, etc) My spectroscopes indicates to me that this light addresses all those concerns... it is apparent to me that someone has done their homework

RGB arrays seems to be the current trend for overall plant growth and health

as far as wattage...Im not sure, Ill verify and post... However I do believe the electrical wattage is extremely low, but at the same time efficiency is obviously extremely high, but again the effective footprint for this light is rather small at 1'x2'

we shall see how it does in a real world applicaton.... honestly, I dont think I would have been asked to evaluate this light if it hasnt already proven itself... but over the next 6 months I will document the results and we will see for ourselves

good or bad, I will post the pics and results

Cheers'
    Av

refs:

Kim, H-H, R.M. Wheeler, J.C. Sager, N.C. Yorio, and G.D. Goins. 2005. Lighting emitting diodes as an illumination source for plants: A review of research a Kennedy Space Center. Habitation 10(2):71-78.

Folta, K.M.. L.L. Koss, R. McMorrow, H.H. Kim, J.D. Kenitz, R. Wheeler, and J.C. Sager. 2005. Design and fabrication of adjustable red-green-blue LED light arrays for plant research. BMC Plant Biology 5:17-27.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck! I am curious to see how it goes. I dunno how economical it would be for a multiple light setup like I want and with the amount of plants I grow, because the startup of the lights is so high right now. I am interested and look forward to your results.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll just stick with fluorescents for now.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well all I can say is I was using 32Watts worth of LEDs and got very little growth.The only LED lights I have seen work are those consisting of 100Watts + however I dont plan to fork out $100s for a light that has only been tested by a few people.

Also, ignore any equivalent rating that you may have. This measurement is only used to make people think they are more powerful then they are. Apparently 32watts equaled 150W - 200W worth of halide lighting. If this where the case, my plants would have grown without problem lol.

Good luck and I will await results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast