What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zone Map?

Has anyone seen a new zone map? My partner recently found one in a magazine (Mother Earth News or something like that I'm sure) that is updated. Here in Little Rock, we were in zone 7b but according to the new map, we're in zone 8. Just wondering if anyone else had seen this or something similar?

Oh, by the way, I've had my first Sarracenia flower of the year open up and several more are well on their way! :)

Later,
Will

Ive seen it..
there is an animation somewhere on the internet, showing the "old" zones, then showing the "new" zones creeping northward..

personally, I think its just more global warming BS..
I certaintly am not living in a different zone than I was 30 years ago..
the climate here is just as cold as its ever been.

people can make up anything they like and present it as fact..
doesnt make it true..

Scot

the zone chart is a guideline anyway and not a hard fast rule.....im in zone 3 but have yet to find a zone 4 plant that doesnt grow here, even a few zone 5's..........has lil to do with global warming and more to do with the fact that there isnt alot of ppl in zone 3 and there for not as much data for what will grow there......ive run into one fruit catalog that says they base their zone data on plants by what growers tell them......they use the lowest zone ppl by from them have had success in..........what cracks me up is thumbing through flower catalogs find 4 catalogs with the exact same plant with 3 different zone listings...one will throw it at 3, another at 4 another at 5.......echinacia allways cracks me up cause some catalogs throw it as a zone 4 when it will grow wild(naturally occuring even) in zones 2 and 3

Here is another stickied thread in the General Discussions forum where there are several zone maps that other members have suggested that they use. As rattler said, it is definitely more a of a guideline. I wonder though if it is more noticeable around the borders or where the divisions used to be.

Based on the 2006 changes I moved an entire zone (was middle of 5 in 1990 and am was in middle of 6 in 2006). That's pretty dramatic on paper, but in real life... I'm not so sure. I certainly didn't notice much, but that could be for two reasons: 1.) I wasn't into gardening and plants when I was 11; or, 2.) the differences between 5 and 6 are near negligible.

xvart.

Yeah, I have seen my area listed as all zones 4-8. Mostly I think that is because the climate here is absurdly unpredictable. I put some trust in but not TOO much trust in the zone listings.

another thing to keep in mind........a really talented outdoor gardener can really screw with zone maps........as a general rule hybrid tea roses are an annual up here. for every 100 hybrid teas planted one might make through the winter.....if its a mild winter......however i know of two gardeners in town with gardens full of hybrid teas that come back every year and i cant figure out how they do it cause i havent seen them do anything special. also for sun loving perennials i can get away with planting zone 5 and 6 a bit if i mulch heavily in the fall due to the heat my basement puts off into the ground around the foundation.......so yeah, they are a general guideline..........read up on a plant if your seriously interested and there maybe a way to get them through your winters if your only off a couple of zones....

Back