Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thought on highland cooling

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess not a thermoelectric fridge.

"The trick" hehe. I don't trust myself enough. I'd blow up my house or something hehe.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ack, stupid refresh button. Ignore.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how about just using a window a/c unit? they sell small ones for under $100 that has a digital thermostat to control temps.

--oops, didnt see basement part

how about.... get a jigsaw, cut the top open on the fridge, foam seal plexiglass on it and set your light on that and just grown in the fridge?

fyi, if you look online at beer brewing diy sites, they show you how to wire a thermostat on one of those small fridges..

~b
    Last edited by billylh; 03-13-2008 at 08:05 PM. Reason: error

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seedjar The system I described has already been done and I have pictures. I might as well post them here. I have posted them before I think. These are not mine and these were done for cool growing orchids and they are the same conditions for highlanders.

This guy is in Sweden who made this.

Here is the link explaining how he did it. Take from it what you will, but orchids are a lot more sensitive to stagnant air in my opinion. By pulling the air out you will seriously increase the cycle times of the freezer or fridge and not be able to keep up. To keep the air frm stagnating keep a clean chamber and have circ fans in there to keep the air moving.

Cool growing Viv
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if a better alternative would be to fill a chest freezer with water (since it can hold water, unlike the kind he uses) and put a fogger in it to pump cold fog into the terrarium until. hook the fogger to a separate thermostat from the freezer so it would go off at the desired temp. This seems like it would work well for highland Nepenthes, since being wet like this wouldn't bother them like I imagine it would orchids.

If you got a larger freezer that what he used, I wonder if the freezer wouldn't have to work as hard. It also seems as if it wouldn't have to work as hard for Nepenthes, since almost all highlanders don't require days in the 60's. It just seems like a little PC fan wouldn't do very much, especially for that huge setup he has. The fact that he cut into the sides of the freezer to install the ducts seems like an accident waiting to happen, too. I wonder if, instead of a front-opening freezer, you could use a chest freezer, cut two holes in the top (not risky since there's nothing to damage in the lid), have the input tube going down to the bottom of the freezer, and have the output tube shorter, at the top of the freezer. That way you could still have space for the freezer to cool the air. You'd just be using vertical space instead of horizontal space. Add a little water to the bottom of it to increase humidity, unless it had to be set on it's designed temperature of freezing to work properly for a setup like this (since he mentioned defrosting.)

I'd like to see how his setup is working, and looks, now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well dude he grows highland Orchids in there. Masdi's are cool growers. PC fans move a lot more air than you think. You don;t need filters because plants are the best filters on the planet. That is what they do.

I guess if your talking about children cutting into the fridge then your probably right. Accident waiting to happen. I forget that many of the people here are children. As for adults then I would not hesitate to cut into a freezer if that is what I am making.

Yes he mentioned defrosting because your pulling humid air into the freezer. Just a minor inconvenience. Maybe the cold water circ would be another variation to be used. The setups are limitless. Of course many are going to not work so good.

I thought this was a very good idea and wanted to share it because I know it works. Will it work to 40? I dunno. Does it work for highlands yes because masdevallia's are highlanders or in orchid terms cool growers. Same condition as highlanders.

How about this? Running a freezer at full blast, but you have a closed coil system continuously circulating water through a large coil based inside the freezer to a coil on the outside that is inside the chamber with a fan to cool it. Moving water does not freeze. Maybe it will not work as well who knows. It might be more involved than some want to get, but the sky is the limit.

Personally I would like to make my own cooling system as one would make for phase change cooling for computers. Yes people are making mini freezers for their computers to keep them cool and you can make a little larger one a slightly larger one for your chamber.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You lost me when you mentioned filter. I can officially say I'm an adult, and I still think I'd screw up lmao. I'd have to pay someone to do it for me. How did he move the tubes to install the ducts?

I think it's a great idea, too! I think your water idea would work, too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast