Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thought on highland cooling

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_OrchidGuy View Post
    Seedjar The system I described has already been done and I have pictures.
    No doubt - I never said it couldn't be done. Just that cutting the freezer is an unnecessarily complicated step in the process, not to mention it ruins a perfectly good freezer, making it both frivolous and wasteful. In less time than it takes you to cut into the $40-$250 freezer, you can build a perfectly good jig to run an inlet and outlet in with $10 worth of insulating foam and some scrap wood, plus an extra foot or so of whatever hoses you used to connect to the cooler.

Take from it what you will, but orchids are a lot more sensitive to stagnant air in my opinion.
    Did I ever say what orchids were or weren't?

If your plants need more air circulation, use a separate fan within the enclosure for that purpose.
    Did you read this part of my post? Air circulation and cooling are different things. They're both appropriate for some plants, but that doesn't mean the most effective way of providing both is with a single apparatus. It's easier to cool the air if it moves slowly through the system - even better if it can be passed through a coolant with a higher thermal capacity. Fast moving air doesn't have time to exchange heat.

I'll give you that there may be merits to recirculation, but that's a tertiary issue. I suppose it really depends on what (if any) heat sources are in the tank. If the lights are within the airspace, or they warm up/cast enough IR light that the enclosure warms up as well, then I really think it would be easier to just slowly percolate the cold air up and provide an exhaust outlet for the lights' waste heat. If waste heat isn't an issue, then you can recirculate, but you can still save power by doing it at a low speed. However, I have read a number of sources on terrarium culture that say that moving air is no substitute for fresh air. (Contrarily, I grow several almost totally sealed terraria with no fans that do just fine with all sorts of things.) In any case, if the plants need air circulation, it can be dealt with by using low-power fans closer to the plants themselves. You don't need to force the entire air volume through the fan to get it to move within the enclosure - gases are convenient that way.

~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Joe if my post came out wrong. I was in class and had to type a fast response to it. It is time to get to bed now, but again sorry if it came across badly.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't see air conditioning getting a large chamber down to 40 degrees (unless you're blessed with a cold basement in Canada... looking at you, Varun),

Or Wisconsin. I think it gets too cold in the winter, down to 37 a couple times and they seem to like it. I'll take 50's in the summer for a couple months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=JustLikeAPill;863262] I can't see air conditioning getting a large chamber down to 40 degrees (unless you're blessed with a cold basement in Canada... looking at you, Varun),

Or Wisconsin. I think it gets too cold in the winter, down to 37 a couple times and they seem to like it. I'll take 50's in the summer for a couple months.

QUOTE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, it is bad when I'm at the grocery store and walk past the refrigerated displays for dairy and such and think "hmmm, I wonder if I can get one of those cheap and turn it into a highland chamber?"

Those cases with the doors on them where you get your cold, but not quite frozen stuff would be great if you took the shelves out. You could still see the plants through the door. It'd probably be cheaper just to buy a house on a mountain in Borneo though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123