Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humble beginnings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Humble beginnings -- End of Summer photos

As planned upon joining the forums here last month, I have set up 2 identical mini-bogs.* I went with plastic dish style 12" planters, 50/50 peat/perlite, topped with LFS.* All bare root plants were transplanted 03/08/08 and have been spending their days outside and nights in my garage (it is still getting below freezing here most nights).* All plants were dormant when purchased, but it appears a couple of the Sarr species are starting to wake up:1. Typical VFT2. Sarr rubra3. D. filaformes4. Red Dragon VFT5. Dentate VFTs6. Sarr purpurea7. Sarr leucophylla TarnokI'll post pics throughout the growing season as things progress.* Have learned so much valuable information here, and can't wait until the plants start growing.Duane
    Last edited by spdskr; 09-07-2008 at 12:01 PM. Reason: updated report

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worth waiting for, right?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait to see progress pictures!
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    exciting! I want to see those tarnoks when they wake up and after they start producing their Summer pitchers later this year

"If people sat outside and looked at the stars each night, I'll bet they'd live a lot differently." –Bill Watterson
    "Humankind is a man standing atop a pyramid while slowly chipping away at its foundation. " -Me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome bog garden! Can't wait to see an update on how that thing fills up with pitchers!! VERY NICE!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an udate one month after planting. The S. leucophilla were the first to break dormancy and now have emergent leaves over 8" tall and still growing. The D. filaformis have surpised my by catching some gnats already. The VFTs are starting to wake up also. The slowest species to respond were the S. rubra and S. purpurea but they are both sending up new leaves now. The S. rubra even has a flower stalk.

Our weather has been typical CO spring, with some warm days, always cool nights and occasional blizzards. The mini-bogs have spent all nights and most days in my garage under a south facing window. Today the CPs got to bask in the outdoor sunshine. I'll post more udates in May.

Duane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 month update

The two minibogs are doing well and finally starting to grow now that are temps are in the 80's for at least a few days a week. I lost the D. filliformes and S. rubra in one of the bogs and replaced them with D. intermedia and P. primuliflora (planter pictured below). Interesting, the two plants I lost in one planter are the two most vigorous species in the other . The flytraps have grown well, turned red, and even caught some prey on their own. Looking forward to some consistent warm weather in June and a more impressive update at that time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Very nice! It's coming alone just fine!
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast