What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

whiskey barrel halves

i was wondering if anyone could suggest a place either online or perferably a local place that might carry wooden whiskey barrel halves? I got a liner for one but have not had any success in finding one at nearby stores. I really just need it to help keep the sun off the black plastic during the summer.

thanks,
~b

Do it best places or hardware stores or homedepot those carry them :)

Maybe some local antique shops?

xvart.

Lowes has them and the inserts. The whiskey barrel is around 20 bucks and then the insert for it I am not sure about.

Garden place I used to work at has some. They smell real bad though. Then worse when they fill up with water. Man, how can something so good come from something that smells so bad?

ok, i got the mini bog setup, im not much of a procrastinator so i did it as soon as possible as cheap as possible. i bought the large and small (deeper and shallower) plastic liners for the barrel halves and set the small inside the big and added a couple of screened bulkhead fittings for drainage and pump in. other than that, used thin layer of gravel and mixed a very little perlite with majority peat(i was afraid of drainage problems) and filled her up and now everything is running and basically all my plants have a new home....i hope it works, i got my fingers crossed. ill post up pictures once i get them from my phone.

on another note, i saw some charcoal bags at a local nursery, would this stuff really clean the water? is it safe to use?

~b

Back