Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Making a Terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never posted here. A friend got on my account and posted here for me...

Not cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D_muscipula View Post
    how much advice do you need?
    hey for 100$ and traveling expenses I will come down and help you build it jk jk
    yeah i know i know, but i owuld like a second opinion before i go out and spend $100 plus dollars on this terrarium so im just asking that anyone out there with a good terrarrium to please show me.

Thanks alot,
    -Flash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    listen you don't need terrariums to grow most species,do you have any windows at your house?
    oh and sarracenia and temperate drosera and flytraps can all be grown outside during winter there is no need for Jeff to move them in his garage other than its nice for the plants.
    i would go with a ten gallon tank get several ten gallon tanks they have them at walmart for 10$ and get like two four foot shoplights that they have at homedepot and there is no need for special fancy bulbs you can go with a 50/50 mix of cool white and daylight bulbs.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could make your own...... but it's far easier to just buy an aquarium. Buy the largest aquarium you can. If you have to save up a little bit, then do so because you will fill it shortly.
    Buy a sheet of light diffuser at Home Depot or Lowe's, and cut to the dimensions of your aquarium. Place pots in the bottom of your tank, or for a more time consuming alternative, make a support out of PVC. Sit the egg crate on top of this. This is called a false bottom and will be your reservoir. Go to Wal-mart or Home Depot or Lowes, and buy a shop light that is the same length as your aquarium. I recommend 48 inches. Regardless of what length you buy, don't buy one with fewer than four lamps. Of course, two shop lights that hold two lamps each is fine. If you can fit more over your aquarium, then by all means buy more. More is better.

Buy mylar and cover the sides of your terrarium with it. Don't use aluminum foil because it sucks compared to mylar.

You may turn your aquarium on it's side for more horizontal space, at the sacrifice of a false bottom.

I can not recommend Cephalotus to you if you're just starting out. If you want to grow highland plants with lowland plants, then your best bet it to make an intermediate setup. You will not be able to grow plants with stringent temperature requirements, however you will have a decent newbie selection. Personally, I recommend going lowland. It's easier to heat than it is to cool and most of the plants are very fast growing. Since you're in Oregon, you may have naturally highland conditions. If you do, then by all means go highland, but they aren't as fast.

If you have your heart set on an open-door terrarium, go buy an Exo-Terra terrarium. Even if you buy the largest available, you'll fill it up in no time.

By the way, get a small fan.

Here is mine:

Was it everything you imagined? lmao

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustLikeAPill View Post
    Was it everything you imagined? lmao
    Yes it is thanks, anyone else have ideas?
    -Flash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So many people veiw this yet none can post some ?
    My Grow List: Working on building it back up!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123