What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making a Terrarium

Ok, so i am making a new terraium and would like if anyone or everyone that has one to post the pics of the ones they have. Also if you have the instructions on how to make it that could come in happy i think i would like to grow my cephs and neps in there if that would help.... ???

Thanks in advance, :hail:

Me

DIY tank or boughten aquarium style?
what nepenthes do you want to grow and what size tank are you thinking.

I would prefer a DIY tank because me and my father would like to do some father sone bonding, so you know. If that helps at all

Are you near corvallis <-----where i live. Just wondering if you dont feel comfortable you dont have to answer

Soo many people look at this post yet none reply :'(. i wanna cry... oh wait i am

I am in Salem,Oregon a bit of a drive but not a long one.
well for a DIY tank they are not very cost efficient depending on materials and the size you are looking at over 100$
but if you want to do a diy tank they are great I would go with a four foot tank you can use plexiglass for the sides if you want and doors are great if you want to access your plants easily.
I used this guide to build my tank.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/27814-building-75g-all-glass-tank.html
then after that you can frame it out in wood and get all fancy,here is some pictures of when we built my tank.
oh and the reason to go with a four foot it 3 foot fixtures are hard to find.
you want to make your tank wide not tall,the closer the plants are to the light the better and they should have four foot shop lights prewired at home depot for 8-9$ but its not on their website.
Remind me tomorow and I will show you some photos but as for right now I am going to bed,goodluck.

Hmmm, ok i like it... but i would prefer a terrarium with a two front "doors" (for lack of a better word).... so that i could have more direct access to the plants. But thanks i will take this into consideration

-Flash

Last edited:
yes you can customize it to have two front doors.
DSCF2265.jpg

I would use plexiglass for the door and use magnetic latches and glass hinges,It's all at home depot!

hmm... ok i like it the only problem is that terrarium of your looks like it is going to warp like a black hole :-))... yes that is a good analogy i know.... no offense. If anyone has more ideas PLEASE POST IT WOULD BE VERY HELPFULL.

You have given me alot of ideas man thanks, i would just like more ideas i am very visual so it could really help me out thanks to anyone that helps

-Flash

Wow 41 one people have looked at this post and only one has helped out... I would really like help from you pros out there that know what the hell you are doing, I would prefer a terrarium that i could kepp water in the bottome (i dont have to, but it woulfd be nice) with doors on the front for easy access.

Thanks to all the pros who can manage to help me out. Pleas PHOTOS ARE A MUST for me i need to see things to get the idea in my ead. Also if you have a terrarium with no doors post the photos of that 2 i realyt just want ideas in my head for now and will see what you pros out therse have and do for your amazing CP collections.

Thanks

-Flash

here is a tank that can hold water I used the same guide I showed you in the link but replaced the front glass pane with a tiny 4" tall glass strip and now it can hold water.
mycarnivoresandterrarium011.jpg

after you make the tank you can trim it out in wood which is when you add the doors.
mycarnivoresandterrarium051.jpg

DSCF2294.jpg

very nice i like it does anyone have a terrarium like his that i could look at??? I would like to look at both highland AND lowland i havnt decided which i am making so please if you got any ideas post em.

-Flash

i would go with highland nepenthes and I have more pics but they are old and my plants look way different.

Yeah ok sounds good, but anyone else with front access DIY terrarium (higland or lowland) please i beg you :hail: post some pics. :pics:

-Flash

how much advice do you need?
hey for 100$ and traveling expenses I will come down and help you build it jk jk :grin:

I never posted here. A friend got on my account and posted here for me... :nono:

Not cool.

how much advice do you need?
hey for 100$ and traveling expenses I will come down and help you build it jk jk :grin:

yeah i know i know, but i owuld like a second opinion before i go out and spend $100 plus dollars on this terrarium so im just asking that anyone out there with a good terrarrium to please show me.

Thanks alot,
-Flash

listen you don't need terrariums to grow most species,do you have any windows at your house?
oh and sarracenia and temperate drosera and flytraps can all be grown outside during winter there is no need for Jeff to move them in his garage other than its nice for the plants.
i would go with a ten gallon tank get several ten gallon tanks they have them at walmart for 10$ and get like two four foot shoplights that they have at homedepot and there is no need for special fancy bulbs you can go with a 50/50 mix of cool white and daylight bulbs.

You could make your own...... but it's far easier to just buy an aquarium. Buy the largest aquarium you can. If you have to save up a little bit, then do so because you will fill it shortly.
Buy a sheet of light diffuser at Home Depot or Lowe's, and cut to the dimensions of your aquarium. Place pots in the bottom of your tank, or for a more time consuming alternative, make a support out of PVC. Sit the egg crate on top of this. This is called a false bottom and will be your reservoir. Go to Wal-mart or Home Depot or Lowes, and buy a shop light that is the same length as your aquarium. I recommend 48 inches. Regardless of what length you buy, don't buy one with fewer than four lamps. Of course, two shop lights that hold two lamps each is fine. If you can fit more over your aquarium, then by all means buy more. More is better.

Buy mylar and cover the sides of your terrarium with it. Don't use aluminum foil because it sucks compared to mylar.

You may turn your aquarium on it's side for more horizontal space, at the sacrifice of a false bottom.

I can not recommend Cephalotus to you if you're just starting out. If you want to grow highland plants with lowland plants, then your best bet it to make an intermediate setup. You will not be able to grow plants with stringent temperature requirements, however you will have a decent newbie selection. Personally, I recommend going lowland. It's easier to heat than it is to cool and most of the plants are very fast growing. Since you're in Oregon, you may have naturally highland conditions. If you do, then by all means go highland, but they aren't as fast.

If you have your heart set on an open-door terrarium, go buy an Exo-Terra terrarium. Even if you buy the largest available, you'll fill it up in no time.

By the way, get a small fan.

Here is mine:

DSC02838.jpg

DSC02575.jpg

Was it everything you imagined? lmao

Back