What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

moving plants to the basement

Nepfreak

Nepenthesian
I recently "upgraded" my growshelf by surrounding it with clearer-than glass plastic, and sliding plexi-glass doors on the front. This was to give the shelf more humidity, but there's also the problem of excess heat. The shelf is currently in a window, and if I close the plexiglass doors it gets to 90 degrees inside when the sun hits it. Also, the humidity drops right back down to the 20s. Obviously this is a problem since most of my plants are highlanders... so I'm thinking of moving the whole thing down to the basement, where it gets down to the 50s every night, and just using my MH all day to light it instead of using it as an extra supplement to sunlight. Is there anything that could go potentially wrong with this plan? I would just do it, but everyone in my family seems to think that it's a terrible idea. They're suggesting I use flourescent lights... which just plain wouldn't work because I have a hanging setup and some plants are 3 feet away from the light... and putting blinds on my window... which I REALLY don't want to do! :p
Thanks,
Ben

My highlanders easily took 90F last year. Though the humidity was around 45 - 50 during the day with dropped down to 55F at night and 100% humidity.

I moved mine to the basement last year and everything took off from there. I would say do it.

Yeah the basement shoudl work fine, or like phission says just grow higlands lol

OR heat the in tire basement the heat will rise up to the first floor so you will use less heat basically you can justify spending more money on power since you'd use you heaters on the first floor less :D
Unless you use wood or whatever then just get highlanders.

OR heat the in tire basement the heat will rise up to the first floor so you will use less heat basically you can justify spending more money on power since you'd use you heaters on the first floor less
Unless you use wood or whatever then just get highlanders.
You lost me on that one, I'm trying to create LESS heat, not more :) Thanks guys, I'll try to make some space in the basement and convince my dad to let me move the shelf.

Back