What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wow...... grow rack idea!

laxgoal

I Like Watching Things Grow...
So today I looked in one of my closets and a bright idea popped into my mind... what if i used this closet as a grow rack? I mean its perfect! checkit out... kinda messy right now, but if I cleaned it out it would serve brilliantly. I would need about 8 in wide fixtures. anyone know where to get those?

CLOSET001.jpg

What would you grow there? It would be great for CPs that don't really grow tall. My lighting fixture takes about 3 or 4 inches of space. Now where are you going to put all the stuff that is already there? :-))

xvart.

What would you grow there? It would be great for CPs that don't really grow tall. My lighting fixture takes about 3 or 4 inches of space. Now where are you going to put all the stuff that is already there? :-))

xvart.

He has a point :-))

haha 8" wide fixtures why not use long fixtures.
try some vinyl from walmart they sell it by the roll and then you can wrap it around your shelf if you want more humidity.

yeahhh good idea, If space to grow tall is an issue, Ill just remove a rack in between for the neps and such and for the others I'll leave it how it is. yeah, im gonna use long fixtures, but the width of the shelf is only 7-8 inches.

I could never figure out the point of having a grow rack. Sorry to everybody who uses them. They just seem so, uni-functional. What good are a bunch of plants in a closet? Spread them out! Enjoy them everywhere, and integrate them so other people in your space can enjoy them too! I think people worry about having perfect conditions too much sometimes. I can understand for the serious serious collector, but it seems to me that most of us use this as a hobby. I love being able to sit at my desk and see my plants enjoying their window space.

I could never figure out the point of having a grow rack. Sorry to everybody who uses them. They just seem so, uni-functional. What good are a bunch of plants in a closet? Spread them out! Enjoy them everywhere, and integrate them so other people in your space can enjoy them too! I think people worry about having perfect conditions too much sometimes. I can understand for the serious serious collector, but it seems to me that most of us use this as a hobby. I love being able to sit at my desk and see my plants enjoying their window space.

The problem for some of us is that we have no windows that we can use maybe due to insuficient light... or parents dont want you taking over there nice looking room to add plants. I would definetly prefer to have a plant here and there througout the house so i could see them everywhere they go, but that is not an option for me so a grow rack or terrarium is the way i have to go. But i do like to put a couple flourescents throughout my room so thta i can see my plants all over my room, so when im stuck in there i have nice things to look at all over the place.

Also How wide are the racks in your room are the 8" wide? Or 8". Also it might be possible for you to take a shelf out??? thta would increase the amount of room you would have and you would be able to grow the taller plants like nepenthes better.

I understand your point; but, for me at least, I only have so much window space and window room available for the plants I want to grow. On top of that, my wife isn't too keen on the idea of having carnivorous plants all over creation. For me, a grow rack gives me much more growing space in a central location. I would love to have Nepenthes hanging in front of every window; but, that just isn't practical at this stage in my life. And, while my grow rack does not provide nearly the "perfect" conditions, it does give me more adequate light, and I have already been able to tell a difference from when I was growing by a window. That in turn, makes growing for me enjoyable.

I don't grow CPs to share with the world (other than the occasional picture with all of you); I grow them for me. Grow shelf = more plants = better looking plants = no lose situation for me.

xvart.

Lets see; The Thief Lord, The Scorpion, Series of Unfortunate Events, Legos, and a stuffed monkey. :D

Cheers :)

And it does look like a great rack, provides lots of space for growing. I need something like that :0

haha oh yeah, The things that pile up... I think my CP's would look better on that rack anyways.

ditto

............what Xvart said. :p

Good luck. I just recently closed down my plant closet and moved the rack into the living room instead. It isn't ideal, but I like the closet now. The appeal to growing CPs in the closet is the look that people give you when you say that you have a bunch of plants growing under lights in your closet. My neighbor said his wife thought I was growing pot since they could see the glow of fl lighting at all hours.

Back